Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Vaccine rollout

>

teachnkids

Vaccine rollout
Old 01-12-2021, 05:46 PM

It is absolutely ridiculous that every state and even different countries within states have different levels of vaccination & availability.

I live in NC. Vaccine is currently being distributed at county health departments. Some counties are farther along the chart for vaccinating. Absurd!

NJ where my mom lives has very sporadic locations. Closest to my mom is 2 hours away! Absurd! (Bout to google it to verify)

My friend in Kentucky is getting her vaccine next week. She's part of the general public. Absurd!

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 01-12-2021, 07:16 PM

Yep. We're still on medical workers and most of those that I know haven't been vaccinated yet.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Ca
Old 01-12-2021, 09:44 PM

Same in CA, still on healthcare workers. My county just opened a new vaccination place with another on the way. That is just for the actual county. Evidently private insurance companies can do what they want. For example Kaiser can say, healthy young people before people who work in retail (not saying they are doing that, but from what the news said, they can distribute anyway they want).
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 01-13-2021, 03:03 AM

My state is basically doing healthcare workers right now. On the news today they are saying how difficult a time people are having trying to get a appointment for the second vaccine.

I don't understand why part of the process when you get the first vaccine doesn't include scheduling you right then for your second vaccine.

Apparently you have to go onto some site to register and there's no appointments open for well past when you were due for your second vaccine!

This should have been a national process not a state-by-state decision.
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-13-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmom
This should have been a national process not a state-by-state decision.
I am feeling very very very conflicted as I see so many PTers being vaccinated right now. I am happy for you and sad for me. I agree wholeheartedly with twinmom that we, as a country, missed the boat on rolling out the vaccine. I was so hopeful, and now I am discouraged.

Here’s my latest—I just this morning received this as part of an update from my health care provider (who I trust).
Quote:
Rest assured, we will be reaching out to you when you become eligible for the vaccination.
The last doctor I saw (9 days ago) predicted I would receive the vaccine in Spring.

Last edited by amiga13; 01-13-2021 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: Forgot doctor’s prediction.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-13-2021, 09:50 AM

Florida, as always, is doing its own thing.

Medical workers and anybody over 65 can get the vaccine right now, if you can get an appointment.

I disagree with all people age 65 up being vaccinated prior to essential workers (teachers included) especially since essential workers HAVE to be out.
However, FL is also fully open so all workers are essential right now

I did read that DisneyLand in CA will be used as a vaccine super center.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 01-13-2021, 04:09 PM

Agree that this should have been determined nationwide rather than state to state. It doesn’t make any sense to me. I also am concerned about the safety of a vaccine that has rolled out so quickly when there are still so many unknown aspects of the virus and the vaccine. I am a teacher but very conflicted about taking the vaccine.

I guess you can tell that I have been isolated too long! I seem to have a distinct opinion and something to say about everything!!!!
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

FionaJ

Old 01-13-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why part of the process when you get the first vaccine doesn't include scheduling you right then for your second vaccine.
In my state they do schedule the second one when you get the first one.
FionaJ is online now   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 01-16-2021, 03:29 PM

Georgia has expanded eligibility to people 65 and over, but the process is chaotic. In this area it has been impossible to get through to get an appointment by phone and the website to sign up was down until yesterday. I finally was able to sign up and am scheduled to get the first dose on Monday.

In our area, it is only one phone number for 6 counties - ridiculous. I saw it mentioned on the health district Facebook page that that number was also for scheduling Covid testing - don't know if that's true, but wouldn't be surprised.

Yes, there should have been a nationwide plan in place, and apparently we don't even have a statewide plan.
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote