Fourth Grade

Donovan's Word Jar Activities

>

Apples123

Donovan's Word Jar Activities
Old 09-05-2012, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

Our class will be starting to read the chapter book "Donovan's Word Jar" next week. Does anyone have any activities to use with the book? Thank you!

Apples123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Megteach

Google
Old 09-06-2012, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I googled the title and came up with several different sites with ideas and interactive games and activities.

Good luck!
Megteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

We are reading that now!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I brought one of my jars from home today (Mrs. D's word jar!) After the kids read the story I gave each a small slip of paper and told them to write an action word on the paper (running, jumping, brushing teeth, etc.)

The kids put the slips in the jar. Tomorrow we will play charades...they are really looking forward to it!
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

I forgot to mention
Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My Donavan's Word Jar is in our reading text...condensed version. I don't know if that makes a difference or not!
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

4thgradehelp

Can I assume....
Old 09-12-2012, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That you are using the Harcourt Basal for your curriculum? I would love to collaborate/share ideas throughout the year if you are! Possibly talking about centers/if you are incorporating it into Daily 5, HOW are you incorporating it?

Let me know if anyone is interested!

4thgradehelp is offline   Reply With Quote

steelcitymom

4thgradehelp
Old 09-18-2012, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm also using Hartcourt Trophies as our basal. I would love to share ideas and resources. We started with a novel so I may be a little behind for a bit. Let me know what story you are gettign ready for , I don't mind long range planning
steelcitymom is offline   Reply With Quote

4thisbest

Vocabulary
Old 09-20-2012, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have them write the vocabulary words in a jar cutout. They then make a flap to cover the word, and on the flap is the synonym. Lift up the flap, and there's the vocabulary word. They love doing this simple activity!
4thisbest is offline   Reply With Quote

4bbarky

Jar Quilt
Old 09-22-2012, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We read the basal version too. I have my kids create a paper jar quilt. Google jar quilt to see lots of pictures. They fill their jars with something that they could collect - Collections make a good writing assignment to. I have modified a real quilt pattern to make cutting out the paper pieces easier. Each student gets 1/2 white copy paper, one 1inchx3 1/2 inch strip of grey, four - 1inch black squares (They cut 2 of the square on the diagonal to make 4 triangles). First, students draw and color collections to all edges of paper. Second, glue 4 black triangles to corners of paper to make the "rounded" corners. Glue the 2 extra black square above the top black triangles and the grey strip between them to create a "lid." I mount all of the jars on black paper leaving black "sashing" between the "blocks." I hope these instructions make sense after you look at some sample quilts online.

Another idea - another teacher has her class collect words for Cafe/Daily 5 on a giant word jar poster instead of using The Sisters chart. I think it would be a great way to introduce collecting words at the beginning of the year!
4bbarky is offline   Reply With Quote