Help

Second Grade

2nd grade reading UOS

>

Sebastian

2nd grade reading UOS
Old 07-15-2016, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

our district is now adopting Lucy for reading. We did have an inservice to show us how to implement but all it taught us was how to teach workshop! Our district has used this method for over 10 years!! Total waiste of a day. It would have been better to hear from those that piloted the program. So here I am asking for advice on what works for you. I am very concerned about the time frame and where guided reading fits in! We do UOS writing and have to have 2 days for each lesson! Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions. I always learn best from others' experiences.

Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote

Epeebes

Old 08-02-2016, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's impossible to do everything as it's scripted. You have to modify and cut out what you feel is not useful. Some lessons take two days or need to be taught twice but the majority of them you can do in one day.
Epeebes is offline   Reply With Quote

ginadoo

Old 08-07-2016, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First let me say that workshop is not something you get "trained" to do. It is something we study and strive to get better at. You will not be perfect the first year. I have been studying workshop for ten years and know I can still improve. Think of the work shop as the time that includes all of your literacy components....read aloud, shared reading, word work, interactive writing, reading and writing workshops. Guided reading is one tool you can employ to meet the needs of your students during reading workshop. You have a choice to pull a guided reading group, a strategy group, work with a partnership or an individual. The question is why do you pull these groups? The purpose for guided reading is to move kids up text levels, so you are thinking about accuracy. A strategy group might help a group of children that need help with a strategy whether it is a decoding strategy (e.g. attending to vowel patterns, attending to inflectional endings), a comprehension strategy (making an inference, thinking about what the character is saying or thinking), a fluency strategy (reading with expression, reading phrases). My suggestion for you next year is to work on the mini lesson if you have not done so already. Learn how to deliver a quick, focused lesson. If you have the Units of Study for Reading look in the back at the shared and read aloud sections of each book. They will guide your weekly shared and read aloud components. Lucy would not recommend you spend two days per lesson. They were written for one day and they are not a script, but an example. It will take you forever to do two days... If your school is all doing this together I recommend getting together and talking about what is working and what is not on a regular basis. Good luck! Remember you don't have to be perfect.
ginadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sebastian

Thank you
Old 08-24-2016, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

both of you for taking the time to post a reply. I have found them both helpful as well as help confirm that I am doing this already....and....i don't have to be perfect!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote