Rating Student Teacher Low (Advice Needed) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Rating Student Teacher Low (Advice Needed)

>

chanrowl

Rating Student Teacher Low (Advice Needed)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first student teacher and I've learned a lot. However, my student teacher just did not meet the standards expected. Both his supervisor (who is in frequently to observe and check-in and she helps him plan) and I pretty much agree on most terms.

I have his exit conference tomorrow (he's finishing off the remainder of the school year at another location) and he's been rated, by myself, low in several areas.

I just want some advice on how you've conducted these conferences especially when you have to discuss those low areas. I don't think any will be surprise to him, per say, as we've discussed these areas almost every week, just never had to have an evaluatory conversation with someone before (aside obviously when I give him my feedback on his lessons).

chanrowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-29-2017, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just be honest. If you've discussed the areas consistently than he should be prepared for the conversation. Focus on what he can do to improve those areas, and any growth that you did see him make while he was with you.

You can always approach it like a parent conference - start with something good or an area of strength, then go into the areas of growth.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 03-29-2017, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's tough to handle. I think it's great that he's already aware of what he can work on. Agree with PP's about stating positive. Share the areas of "weakness" in a way that shows the student teacher that they can improve if they do XYZ. It's supposed to be a learning experience so instead of feeling defeated, they should have a focus moving forward.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

Jerebo

Old 03-30-2017, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with the PPs, make a sandwich. Start with the positive then discuss the areas of growths and recommendations for improvement and then end with a positive.
Jerebo is offline   Reply With Quote