Help

The VENT

Screamer

>

DeDee76

Screamer
Old 12-17-2019, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach life skills/small class high school SPED. I have a fairly new student. He comes with a history of not attending school at all last year. He is a screamer. And of course I am his favorite target. My district team is not helpful at all with his behaviors. I asked him today to take his hands out of his pants (gross). His response was to tell at me. I am to the point of the year where I am waving the white flag. I can't carry on a normal lesson without him interrupting. My other kids are entitled to an education but we can't. The other kids are afraid of him. Any advice?

DeDee76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Observation
Old 12-18-2019, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Get every SPED person at the school and/or district and the principal to come and observe him, and document everything. Ask the SPED people and your admin what you are supposed to do when he melts down.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-18-2019, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

See if you can get the parents of the other kids to complain. Often they listen to complaining parents more than complaining teachers.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

DeDee76

Old 12-18-2019, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When we have observers he is usually not displaying the behavior.
DeDee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
LifeSkillsT

LifeSkillsT

Make the screaming ineffective
Old 12-18-2019, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I taught life skills/small class at the elementary level. I had a screamer once that could be heard in most of the building, and I was at my wits' end.

A colleague was brainstorming with me, and we went back to behavior basics. 1. Ignore inappropriate behavior - hadn't worked. 2. Make inappropriate behavior ineffective - worth a try.

So I got some ear plugs. When the student started screaming, we treated it like a physical melt-down and cleared the room of the other students. Then I let her see me putting the ear plugs in my ears and sat down beside her to do the work that she was screaming to avoid.

The expression on her face was priceless.

It did take 3 or 4 episodes before she stopped, but the behavior never recurred. Once the screaming was extinguished, she displayed a delightful personality!

Good luck!

Summerwillcom

I was about ready to say save your $
Old 12-21-2019, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

for early retirement. That is what I have been doing. Then I saw Life Skills message.

Where I am , regular ed teachers get stuck w/ these kids as well as w/ a full class load.
I have had 2 screamers and 1 last yr we handled about how Life Skills says. It worked too for us. ( A friend helped me w/ a nightmare of a class last year because she had more free time and was not teaching a class..) When I left w/ the class, I always took the others somewhere fun. The screamer got to hear about it when we returned.
It took more like 7-8 episodes, but the kid quit the screaming. Also, I see this kid this yr ( I am not teaching this yr) and he is extremely pleasant to me now.
( Not so much to others though.) It is definitely worth a try.
Summerwillcom is online now   Reply With Quote