Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

No shutdown yet

>

NatureLvr

No shutdown yet
Old 11-11-2020, 07:26 PM

Illinois public health officials are urging people to stay home for the next three weeks and only go out for necessities, such as groceries or doctor appointments. That time frame includes Thanksgiving. Our numbers have surged recently. I think Governor Pritzker doesn't want to issue another shutdown order like last spring. I hope it works; I feel really sorry for some of the business owners and especially the restaurants. So many have closed. Chicago used to be a city known for its dining, and I hope it can recover after Covid.

Last edited by NatureLvr; 11-11-2020 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Spelling
NatureLvr is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 11-11-2020, 07:53 PM

Yes. I know our governor received a lot of push back from restaurant owners, some who have defied his orders to close their indoor seating.

I know he decided to compromise and divide the state into regions and only give stricter mitigations to those regions which get above the 8 percent positivity rate. He did this because many smaller counties downstate were complaining that they had restrictions when their area did not have many cases.

He is hesitant about locking everything down totally, but I think is concerned that it might have to happen since the majority of the state is really bad right now.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-11-2020, 07:58 PM

The governor here in MD has not ordered a shutdown for schools, leaving it up to the counties. A few of them have shut down. Our superintendent said he is for getting kids back in school but they are watching data and will shut down if necessary. I expect we will shut down soon. I worry about our community too because a shutdown will hurt so many. The ones who survived the spring might not be able to hold on through another shutdown.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-11-2020, 07:58 PM

Same sort of situation here. Our numbers are WAY higher than they ever were before/during the previous shutdown, but no one wants to do another one. They keep just begging people to wear masks and stay home on social media, in press conferences, etc. But the thing is, the people who actually watch those press conferences and keep up with all of the news are the same people likely already doing that stuff anyway. Begging people in a press conference isn't going to make one bit of difference, IMO. And people already are wearing their masks in stores and such. The issue is people having personal/social/extended family gatherings where there are not masks.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 11-11-2020, 08:34 PM

If all we had to do is ask people nicely to stay home and wear their masks, we'd be out of this mess already. My governor did the same thing yesterday. Just urging people to do the right thing. But I don't know why they would now, when they didn't before.

If they are not going to make things mandatory, and enforce it with fines or jail time or whatever, then nothing will get better. In fact, it's going to get a lot, lot worse.

Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 11-11-2020, 08:43 PM

Our state positivity rate is 21% according to cdc standards and 39.9% according to MO standards. Some schools in StL are going all virtual. My old district just said they would go virtual the 2 school days of Thanksgiving week, but be back f2f on the 30th.

No statewide mask mandate here. The citizens voted to put Parson back in the governor's mansion. I personally wanted to send him elsewhere... Nothing is closed here. "What virus?"

MO will go down in a flaming hot mess.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

1 million
Old 11-12-2020, 03:15 PM

We just hit a million cases. We have a color system and it goes by county. Our county has 25% of indoors open. We also saw an uptick in cases the other day. Most people are doing a good job, but we need better. Some districts are supposed to go face to face soon,but classified employees protested as they werenít given instructions. Like preschool aides werenít told how to wash toys, how often, what to use, etc..
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Iím in Illinois
Old 11-12-2020, 06:43 PM

My suburban county has 1,113 more Covid cases today. That is huge! Chicago and suburban restaurants were ordered to close and, at least where I am, most of them are still open for indoor dining. Cases are rising. Where before I only had one friend that passed away in late March I now know personally a handful of people that have Covid.

However, when I look at the numbers for New York they’re doing something correct. Their numbers are remaining stable.

I, for one, will do what it takes! Even if it means closing down.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 11-13-2020, 06:48 AM

We heard a LOT about possible shut downs on the news in our area last night. Even the gov of the state sent out a message that "all is in place" if it comes to that.

To me, that's a hint of what might come to be in the near future.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote