Tell a story about your dad (for Fatherís Day) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tell a story about your dad (for Fatherís Day)

>

amiga13

Tell a story about your dad (for Fatherís Day)
Old 06-19-2022, 05:52 AM

Happy or sad
Good or bad
Today letís hear
About your dad.

Hereís mine:

I grew up in the days of freedom for kids. We roamed and explored and devised our own entertainment. My friends were the other kids in my neighborhood and we played outside daily.

My dear dad was very handy, a true fixer. One day, fiddling in the garage, he used some leftovers to make me very simple stilts. I LOVED them. Of course, the neighbor kids wanted a turn. We were good at sharing back then, and my dad watched us. He made stilts for every kid in the neighborhood. We sure did have fun.

Thanks for the fond memories, Dad. I love you.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 06-19-2022, 06:12 AM

My dad taught me how to:

change a tire
put chains on tires
change my oil
jump a car battery
fill the radiator

He was determined that I never get stuck on the road.
word girl is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 06-19-2022, 06:20 AM

What a great story! I also grew up in the days of roaming our cul de sac type neighborhood that had tons of kids who knew to go home for dinner when they heard different signals, and then go back out and go home when the street lights came on.

My dad told stories with WAY too many irrelevant details . Once he told a story ( I was probably in my late 20s by then) that went into excruciating details about a public bus he was on on a trip, including how the front seats turned along the sides of the bus.

Here's the thing....the bus had NOTHING to do with the story and the rest of my family( including myself) could never remember what the story was actually about when joking about it over the years. ( not around Dad).

I used that as a remembrance at his funeral 2 summers ago.

Love you and miss you Dad.

Last edited by twinmom95; 06-19-2022 at 12:05 PM..
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 06-19-2022, 06:25 AM

My dad wasn't handy at all so I'm afraid I learned very few skills from him except help in algebra and how to balance a checkbook and do my own taxes-correctly! He also made sure all his daughters were educated and financially independent.

My mother was the more hands-on parent in our family of daughters, but that just made the time we had with our dad more special. I loved riding around country roads with my dad on Saturday mornings in the summer as we visited various farms and farm stands and gathered produce along the way. The back seat and trunk often smelled of cantaloupe, silver queen corn, and watermelon. My dad wasn't a big talker, even when we were alone together in the car, but I loved just being with him on our Saturday morning adventures.

I loved watching Baltimore Oriole games with him, mostly on TV, and loving Brooks and Frank Robinson and all the O's. I loved watching men's softball leagues under the lights in the county parks. So exciting to be sitting with my dad on the bleachers at night, sipping at a snow cone and waiting to hear if a foul ball hit the hood of a car.

My dad loved to fish. The most excited I ever saw him was when we were out on the Chesapeake Bay on his friend's boat, and I pulled in a large rockfish on a handline!

I love you, Dad, and I miss you.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-19-2022, 06:26 AM

My father has a great voice. I remember him singing me to sleep at night. If I couldnít sleep, or was sick he would lay in bed with bed with me and sing me to sleep.

He also randomly breaks into song if you say something that reminds him of a song, sometimes theyíre great songs and sometimes theyíre ridiculous.

And he was adamant that my brother and I learn how to sleep anywhere so when we were babies he would put music on, the tv, etc. He would have us sleep during parties in the room, etc. Thanks to him I can sleep anywhere.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

Dad
Old 06-19-2022, 06:34 AM

My favorite memory of my dad happened when I was a senior in college. I had to move out of my dorm at the end of the year, and the small car that I had wouldn't move the big stuff.

Dad had just gotten a new truck and, though nervous for me to be handling such a big vehicle, he let me borrow it for the week so I could move my stuff back home. I had a 6 hour drive to college and back and would also be using his truck to finish out my last little bit of student teaching.

I took his new truck to school, finished my student teaching, and got my stuff moved home. I pulled in the drive to find Dad changing the oil or something in my car. When he saw me, he started walking toward me, arms outstretched as if to give me a hug. He yelled, "My baby!" and I walked to him for my hug. He walked right by me and went to kiss the hood of his new truck.

Still my favorite memory!

Thanks for the opportunity to post, Amiga. I really like this thread!
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 06-19-2022, 07:20 AM

I remember when my older sister had her first boyfriend. She was babysitting at the neighbors house and my dad and I were in our yard doing some yard work. We saw my sister's boyfriend go by (toward where she was babysitting ) on his bike.

My dad shook his head, went in the house , and came out with his shot gun. He walked to the end of the driveway and just stood there with the shot gun resting on his hip. A few seconds later, I saw my sister's boyfriend speed by on his bike.

My dad waked back inside, put the gun away, and came back out to finish what we were doing.

My dad was always my biggest cheerleader. In my senior year of HS he took me to a symposium at UMF. As we were driving through the campus he said , "I can see you here." I did attend UMF a little over a year later, and became the first in my family to attend college.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

bellringer

memories of dad
Old 06-19-2022, 07:31 AM

It's so hard to pick a favorite.
He was always willing to do anything for me. As a young widow raising a young child, he became a surrogate father to my DS. He was the handyman I always called when I couldn't make something work or had trouble with the lawn mower or had a question about which tires to buy for the car. He has been gone four years (at 93) and I miss him every day.
(I write this sitting in the lake cabin he built in 1967. Lots of memories here.)
bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 06-19-2022, 07:38 AM

Lovely thread. My dad was the best listener, didnít matter if you were 2 or 102 he made you feel like you were the most important person in the room. He was truly interested in what you had to say.

The best lesson I got from him was ďall things in moderationĒ. He believed in doing whatever you wanted to do, just donít overdo it.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

My father
Old 06-19-2022, 07:51 AM

Dad was intelligent, hard working, humorous, a great story teller and a nature lover. He enjoyed taking the whole family out often into the country for a drive and adventure. He wanted us to appreciate nature as well.

We would often stop and hike a bit, pick wild flowers, view the local birds and other wildlife of central Texas. One time we even chased an armadillo for a short distance. We were hoping he would roll into a ball but he was too fast and we were too slow and we never got close enough.

Dad almost always found us a creek to splash around in as well if the weather was warm. This was always our favorite part as kids. Then dad pulled out the camera and took photos of his girls having a wade to cool off.

Around Christmas each year we harvested enough mistletoe for decorating at home. This was great fun as a child.

On these adventures dad taught us the names of different trees, flowers and birds. We learned a great deal and had fun talking, laughing and even singing in the car together every time.

Thank you Daddy. I love you forever and always.

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 06-19-2022, 07:58 AM

What lovely stories!

Dad was very handy and did most of the household repairs. I helped him by holding the nails or screws or whatever small thing I could hold in my little 3 or 4 year old hands. He explained everything he was doing, never talking down to me. To this day, when Man and I do household repairs, I hold the screws saying "here, PetNameOnlyDadCalledMe, you can hold the screws".

He was a wonderful dad with each of his 4 daughters being his favourite. He taught us grace, dignity, and humility.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 06-19-2022, 08:03 AM

Today is hard for me as I lost my dad less than 2months ago.
One of my favorite stories he told us was when we were little was that he lived in an apartment building and had saved up money to buy a trumpet that he was going to learn to play. He said the trumpet got sent to the wrong apartment and the guy kept it and became a famous musician.
I was in college when I learned heíd made that whole story up

He did always pile the neighborhood kids in the back of a pickup and give us rides through town. And always stopped for ice cream!
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

My dad...
Old 06-19-2022, 09:29 AM

My dad has been gone for 20 years.

As a child, whenever I got hurt (which was frequent since I was a huge daredevil tomboy), I always wanted my dad. He saw me through broken bones, stitches, and various other injuries.

When I was a teen, we fought all the time. I was a punk, smartass kid that he just didn't know what to do with. (Thanks to my big sis who never did anything wrong. )

In my 20's things took a turn for the better. I finally realized I knew nothing, while my dad knew so much more than I ever thought. Many phone calls were made to him asking for his advice.

When he passed away, I was 31 and our relationship was really great. I remember our last conversation clearly, I think frequently of his fantastic bear hugs, and I would so love to have one of those today.

I think back to all the time he was a hard ass with high expectations, and I have to laugh. I am SO much like him it's scary, and if he were here today, I really think he'd be proud that his punk ass daughter ended up being a successful, well-loved teacher.

Thanks for this, Amiga!! I miss him all the time, and I loved spending a few minutes sharing my dad with you guys.
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 06-19-2022, 10:33 AM

It’s difficult since my dad died while I was in college in the 1970s. He was under a lot of stress from the small business he owned (it did all right, but he never made a lot of money from it), and he was often very tense. Every once in a while he’d laugh or tell a joke, but this didn’t happen often. Many people who knew him probably thought he was too serious.

At the same time, my dad was a very ethical person. He despised others he knew who would take shortcuts which bordered on the unethical to make an extra buck. Fancy clothing and lots of material possessions meant nothing to him. He grew up during the Depression, and never was the type to throw money around. He was very loyal to his family, and cared deeply for his employees.

I have great memories of my father for:

Teaching me how to hit a baseball

Teaching me how to tie a necktie

Teaching me how to ride a bike

Teaching me basic woodworking skills

Explaining the basics of the stock market (although he wasn’t a big investor)

Being there for me at all the important times as I was growing up

Constantly reinforcing the importance of living an ethical life, being sincere, and being loyal to family

Making great pancakes every Sunday morning

Sharing stories about growing up in the 1920s and 1930s

Last edited by c6g; 06-19-2022 at 11:00 AM..
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 06-19-2022, 11:11 AM

My dad was the youngest of 3 with 2 older sisters. His parents were kind, loving, and spoiled him. That led him to believe he could do no wrong. So he spent his marriage cheating on my mom.

The last time he cheated was right before my wedding. My mom discovered it because of the love letter he wrote on a yellow legal pad. She could read the imprint left on the next sheet of paper.

My wedding was a #### show with my mom calling out my dad for being a cheat and telling my new dh that he was a lousy mamaís boy. (He was, weíre divorced)

My mom now has dementia. All the bad memories are gone and she always says her husband was a good man.

My fatherís death was a fitful one and did not go peacefully. He was afraid to meet his maker and answer for all the wrong he did.

Iíve done AncestryDNA so any unknown siblings can find me.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

My dad
Old 06-19-2022, 11:11 AM

Used to read us stories from an Alfred Hitchcock book before bedtime….

Not sure why? But we all remember that with fondness.

He also gave all of us a deep appreciation for nature. We’d run the dog with him, pick pussy willows, swing on the elm tree rope, scout out fishing holes, hike the hills of his hometown - so many outdoor things.

One of my very favorite memories is how he would drop one of my brothers and my sister and I at a bridge that crossed a river. He’d say…we’ll meet you at the 5th bridge. We had such an adventure! It was an all day thing. When we arrived at the 5th bridge my mom would be doing the Sunday crossword and my dad would be fishing. I saw it as a way to get my mom away from any housework/cooking, him a way to unwind, and us independence and memories.

My brother has since passed away, as have my mom and dad, and my sister and I are best friends.
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 06-19-2022, 11:27 AM

My father taught me how to dance. He and my mother took ballroom dancing lessons in the 60s. My father would take me out to the dance floor at our big Italian family weddings and teach me the waltz, the tango, all the classics.
imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 06-19-2022, 11:33 AM

My dad figured out when I was really little that I was having a hard time sleeping because my brain just would not turn off. So at bed time he would sit next to me and listen for a few minutes while I talked about my plans (yeah, I had them even as a six-year-old), and then would quietly talk me through something we did or a trip we took. Now we would call something like that guided meditation, but he definitely wasn't aware of it back then! After a while I realized I could do it on my own, or if my brain was really racing could fall asleep to a book on tape. (Technology has really helped with that the last few years!) I've carried thay really simple tool with me my whole life, and I'm sure my mental health is better for it.

My dad's love is really big in my life, even though he's a pretty quiet guy. Dependable, thoughtful, never over-bearingóI know I'm really lucky and got to tell him that when we all took a trip to see a baseball game this weekend. Holding space in my heart/thoughts for all of you who might be having a hard day.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 06-19-2022, 11:45 AM

I love this thread

My Dad has been gone a long time, I was 16 when he passed. He was sick with kidney disease and dialysis was very hard on his body. He knew he could be gone anytime. My Mom was a teacher, she left for her school before our bus picked my sister and I up and came home after us. One of my best memories is of him keeping us home from school a couple of times to play. He played games with us, with Barbies, whatever we wanted. My Mom had no idea until recently when my sister and I were talking about it.
meandmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

My dad
Old 06-19-2022, 01:01 PM

Dad was such a gentleman, with a wonderful sense of humor who loved his family above all else.

I was 4th out of 5, and the “baby girl.” (He would call me “the pick of the litter” ! One day he was taking the older kids to the Statue of Liberty. I was kind of little to appreciate it, but begged to go with the big kids. He asked me, “Do you want to go to the Statue of Liberty or do you want to go to Wetson’s? (Burger joint) Without hesitating, being a chow hound, I replied, “Wetson’s!”

Of course the others made fun of me for choosing food, but I got my daddy all to myself, along with a burger, fries, and a vanilla milkshake! Score!

Many years later, as Dad and I were about to walk up the aisle on my wedding day, he turns to me and whispers, “Psst! Do you want to get married or do you want to go to Wetson’s?”

Last edited by Munchkins; 06-19-2022 at 03:22 PM..
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-19-2022, 01:12 PM

My dad was the life of a party and little kids were always attracted to him--probably because he was a kid at heart himself! He worked out of town during all year except for the winter (he worked for a road construction company.) I remember waiting on Friday nights on the corner for his car to turn the corner and then run alongside it so I could carry in his lunch bucket. He left at 3:00 in the morning on Mondays so we would often get up that early to eat breakfast with him and wave him off (and always laugh when he would slip through the stop sign on the corner).

Winters were tough because he was on unemployment but he was home all the time with us which we loved. Before I went to school we would sit in the living room going through the Sears Wishbook, go to my grandpa's farm and help with chores, or go visiting his friends. He also let me "drive" the car home from grandpa's (actually I was only sort of steering )

When he and his brothers would get together it was always a barrel of laughs.

My dad suffered a brain aneurysm and he was left unable to move or speak after that. He had just retired. Dad was in a Veteran's hospital (he served in WWII) for about 6 years before he passed away. It has been 37 years now. I miss him every day.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Aderynbach

Old 06-19-2022, 02:16 PM

My dad is funny, quiet, gentle and smart. Iím so blessed I still have him around!

When we were little, he would take my sister and I on fishing trips to the mountains just us. He always let us catch the baby crawdads in jars to take home, even though they always died.

He loves to tease and joke and often responds to things tongue-in-cheek! His dad (who died when I was 3) was the same and passed down many great family sayings like, ďThat was one of those great ideas that just wasnít worth a darn!Ē

The things I love most is that he really loves Jesus and he really loves my mom. Heís always there when we need him.
Aderynbach is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Amiga, What a beautiful idea!
Old 06-19-2022, 02:52 PM

My dad was the most loyal, dependable person I have ever known.
In some ways, he was overly protective of the girls. In other ways, he wasn't.
Like he had me shooting skeet at a very young age and encouraged me to finish ground school and start logging hours for my pilot's license at 13.
This story makes me laugh. As young kids, we were always told to go inside before my dad turned on the lawn mower. In a matter-of-fact voice, he told us that a rock would fly up from the lawn mower, hit us in the temple of the head, and we'd die instantly! (For some reason, this only happened to girls.)
After visiting a lady who had 3 fingers gone, he sternly warned us, " SHE messed with a lawn mower."
My sister and I were so horrified of lawn mowers. We grew up and lived very far away from each other most of our lives.
Later in life, we both bought homes very close to each other. She had remarried a guy who did not know how we felt about lawn mowers. We were visiting at her house when he turned on the lawn mower.
Both of us jumped up and ran inside.
Then we laughed when we realized neither 1 of us had ever even touched a lawn mower ever.
It is funny how somethings impact kids. I have a ton of good stories about him. I feel so thankful to have had a dad who always had my back.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

Old 06-19-2022, 02:53 PM

Daddy was a young soldier in WWII stationed in Germany. He always told us about having the cigarettes shot out of his pocket when planes were flying overhead. He dove down a basement staircase and afterwards found his cigarettes broken on the floor and a hole thru his pocket. My family joked about it, thinking he had made it up as a story. A few years later there was a reunion of his regiment and all the guys verified it. They all seemed to enjoy him and his dry humor.

When he was 57, he had lung cancer and part of his lung was removed. I was in college at the time and my mother was still teaching, so when I finished my spring semester, I took care of him at home. We got him hooked on the Young and the Restless.... it came on right before his nap. We had lime sherbert and ginger ale when every someone came to visit him. He lived 10 more years before it came back and he passed away.
jks is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

not a story, but a happy recurring event
Old 06-19-2022, 07:10 PM

My dad's work was an hour away. He worked the 3:00-11:00 (PM) shift. He liked the shift because it paid more than daytime "conventional" shifts and traffic wasn't bad at those times.
He'd come home around midnight, say hello to our dog, grab a beer and sit down to watch Perry Mason. I would be hearing all the "coming home" sounds like the doorknob turn, our dog yelping an excited hello, the twist of the beer bottle cap, and then the Perry Mason theme.
I'd wait to hear my mom go downstairs to see him. If she didn't, I'd sneak downstairs, and sit next to him to watch Perry Mason. We'd comment on how shifty the shifty crook was, how pretty Della Street's smile was, and predict what people would say on the witness stand.
The minute the show ended, he'd kiss me goodnight and send me back upstairs to bed.
I liked the "just us" time it gave me with him. Our relationship was turbulent one, but that hour or so once in a while was precious to me.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 06-19-2022, 07:33 PM

We also had the roam of the neighborhood when I was young and we all knew it was time to come home when we heard dad's whistle. It could be heard for blocks and we knew it meant to get home now.

My dad traveled a lot when we were young and when he returned home he always had flowers for my mom and new PJ's for my sisters and me. His example of how to treat the women in his life set the bar high for the men that we would later marry.

My dad was a Korean War vet and it was my greatest privilege to take him on an Honor Flight to Washington D.C. the year before he died. It was such a special day and it is a memory I will always cherish.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 06-22-2022, 05:52 PM

A few days late but better late than never-something my dad would never have said. He always said early was on time and on time was late. My dad was born in 1924 in Washington state. His father came to America in 1895, went back to Japan to find a wife and brought her over. They settled in a very rural area in Pierce County that no longer exists. He was supposed to graduate from highschool in 1942 but because of WW2 he was sent to the internment camps and wasn't allowed to graduate with his class. My father barely spoke Japanese but he was intelligent and learned quickly. He enlisted in the army so he could prove his loyalty and get out of the "camps". The army taught him how to speak Japanese and then sent him to Japan to interpret. Yep, he was sent to camp for being a traitor and looking like the enemy, yet they trusted him enough to interpret. He returned from the war and wanted to go to college. Only 2 Japanese students were allowed into the school per year so he had to go to Kansas State for freshman year. After that he transfered to UW where he finished his undergrad and continued onto med school.

In 2002 at the age of 78, the graduating class of his highschool invited the surviving members of the class of 42 to walk across the stage and get their diplomas. My dad was on of about 10 classmates left. There was a big write up in the local paper and it was featured on Komo TV 4 in western Washington.

He died a few years after.
lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 06-22-2022, 07:21 PM

This is late but let me share my dad who is 86 years young.
Growing up we were poor, dad made some of our Christmas presents such as cradles and ironing boards. He was a handy carpenter who worked hard but always had time for his family. I remember dad taking us and the neighborhood kids to the playground once a week to play and have fun. Even today, my dad is there to help with repairs that might be needed. You can't tell him he's too old to do the work, its an insult.

We had so much fun growing up, picnics with family & friends that I remember fondly. Trips to the Jersey shore, camping from PA to CA to visit my uncle, going to Expo 67, Williamsburg, VA & Washington, DC.

He loves his family especially my mother. She has alzheimers and when my sister & I try to talk about future plans he doesn't want to talk about it, he loves her and will do whatever needs to be done.

I am blessed to still have my father [and mother]. I have great memories of growing up and his love & support.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote