Help

Retired Teachers

Anyone teaching beyond age 65?

>

ohno

Anyone teaching beyond age 65?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've read messages from some pretty dedicated teachers, but wonder if anyone has returned from a second career to teaching full time after age 65?

ohno is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

only once
Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have taught with a teacher who taught until she was 68 or 69. She was not a classroom teacher and was respected. I will have to teach until I'm 62 or 63. I still love teaching but hope I can make it! Are you planning on teaching after you're 65?
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiesmom

teaching after 65
Old 07-12-2008, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been teaching 23 years and am 60 years old. I started late as I was a SAHM until my kids were older and then I went to college. I love what I do and wonder how much longer I will work. I don't want to retire yet and still feel I'm effective. My thoughts right now are that I will work until I see that I am no longer effective or don't want to get up and go to work in the morning. I can't imagine that!
maggiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

pm

Maggiesmom.....
Old 07-12-2008, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will be 62 next year and started later as well. I have reached that point where I am not as happy to get up and go in. I have also been looking at the Websites some of the younger teachers have created and it makes me exhausted just to read them! I am a good teacher and generally have a lot of fun doing it but I think its about time to pass the torch.
pm is offline   Reply With Quote

Blueyes

Teaching
Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am 61 and this will be my 40th year. I started three months after graduating and have worked in the same school all that time. I still get excited about starting the year, and I spend a lot of time on this site and others, looking for ideas. I still go to the teachers' store to get new things for my class. On the whole, I enjoy teaching, but parents and students have really changed, there's a lot more paperwork now, and I really get tired by the end of the day. Sometimes I feel like people think I'm a dinosaur, but I still get requests, and the school keeps offering me a contract (we have no tenure). I plan on working until I'm 65 ( my full retirement age), because our retirement is so little that I'd hardly make anything retiring early.

Blueyes is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

retiring
Old 07-12-2008, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know how you feel. I've just retired after 38 and a half years of teaching and I KNOW that I will miss it. It was a great profession for me and I feel so lucky to have been able to do it... BUT I was more and more exhausted after giving my all each day. I had less and less energy for the rest of my life.

I'm planning a little volunteering at an inner city school. I'm also going to teach a college class, probably in January.

As I sell off my collection of books, I find that it's making me sad. I'll come across a favorite and realize that I won't be needing it.

I'll just see how it goes!
SusaninNJ is online now   Reply With Quote

sarah78

not a teacher but...
Old 07-25-2008, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

my old school secretary was 71!
sarah78 is offline   Reply With Quote

riley19

I am getting...
Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

a student teacher for the fall semester and she is 58. WOW!!! I only hope that when I am older(41 now) that I am able to have enough energy to continue to teach. Some older teachers can be an inspiration to those of us who are not the youngest teachers in the school anymore.
riley19 is offline   Reply With Quote