Help

Retired Teachers

Volunteering

>

bigsis

Volunteering
Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I live in a rural area, on a farm, so the opportunities to get out are limited. I'm going to try volunteering at our local school for a teacher friend. I do a little substitute work there, but I thought I would enjoy working with students, doing paper work etc without the hassles of "being the teacher". Do any of you do volunteer work....and where?

bigsis is offline   Reply With Quote

kob29

volunteer
Old 10-22-2007, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I volunteer at the local library. It's great to be surrounded by books and I get to see what I've been missing from all of my favorite authors. My sister volunteers at the hospital, working in the gift shop and at the visitor's desk. We both serve as ombudsman - me at the nursing facility and she at Cerebral palsy. I bring treats into the faculty lounge on special "stressful" days at school and I invite friends to a book club once a month. This gets them out for some "me" time and I enjoy seeing my old teacher friends.
kob29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

volunteering
Old 10-28-2007, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't sub, but I do volunteer at the school where I used to teach. I go for one week a month, when they do centers. I also go in to help on the first day of school, and occasionally for events like special assemblies, and bring the staff a snack. Like you, I really enjoy having the fun without the responsibilities.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sue W.

Opportunities
Old 07-25-2008, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A group of retired elementary teachers from our district get together weekly for coffee. With so many active concerned people they have numerous connections. It is fun to visit and a good source of info on possibilites; Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, local art center, county fair, senior companions, Meals on Wheels, Senior Citizen Clothes Closet (a local group who resell donated clothing to fund programs and help out low income families), volunteers at the hospital. Each week something new comes up
Sue W. is offline   Reply With Quote