Help

Retired Teachers

Glad To Be Retired

>

xcaped

Glad To Be Retired
Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Every time I get a little nostalgic about my 30 years of teaching Special Education, I hear from a former co-worker and rejoice in my deliverance instead. Teaching is no longer fun. Young teachers today are mostly documentarians and statistitions. They are completely responsible for events over which they have little control. I'm very, very, glad to be gone. Anyone else out there feel the same way?

xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

I'm beginning to see your point.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a few more yeas to go but I agree with you. I"m trying to keep positive but the demands are crazy. I do love the kids, so that makes it worth while.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Just Think

Glad to be out, too.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Teaching was getting so dictated as to where, what, and how fast you could go through the mounting curriculum and getting ready for THE TEST. It just wasn't fun. Plus there was no time to have fun either. I look back at all the years I taught and think about the time we spent just talking. It was very important, but there's no time in today's classroom. If you slip up, you're behind, and that's absolutely so FUN either.
Just Think is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Remember the Teachable Moment?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Some of my the very best classes were the ones that just happened. They did not conform to any particular standard or teach toward any segment of the TEST. I can remember a discussion where the kids were so into the topic they were standing on their chairs and yelling at each other across the room. The bell rang. The kids groaned in disappointment and reluctantly left still "discussing" in the hall. There was such excitement in learning. It was so awesome that I would have done it for free. I feel sorry for the young teachers and their students who will never experience such a monent. I guess I'm a complete and total dinasaur.... But for most of my 30 years...I did manage to have fun.

bigsis

In agreement
Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There are so many times that I wonder if retirement was the best decision for me. But then I, too, see what's happened to public education and I know that I made the right decision. I think we are so fortunate to have been in the teaching field during these last 30 years. I think of them as the "golden years".....limited paper work and testing, flexibility of time and subject matter, more time to spend with students in informal settings and activities, parental support, respectful students etc. I miss those years and the enjoyment I received from teaching.

bigsis is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

A few years away yet, but some days, I wish..
Old 06-24-2008, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I completely agree with the thoughts posted here. I think that besides the bureaucratic demands that keep getting dumped on us, the parents are out of control. If they feel the slightest bit that little Johnny hasn't been treated fairly (in their minds), they will be in complaining to the principal how you don't like him. The child, many times, never owns the behavior, nor do the parents, and the administration, ever politically correct, supports this. I often say if I hit the lottery, I'd be goine tomorrow. I never used to feel that way. Now, I just need to remember to buy tickets...
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Miler

Not sooo sure about retirement? Give me a sha
Old 06-28-2008, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It is summer and soo i am ok with it but I think September will be very hard as i get sooo bored!
However, my class would have been Hell as they were all Level 1 studnts and doing DRA and open reponses and now as we all no we cannot have art on the wall unless it has literature with it! Spare me!'No time to talk or have fun!
[I] sooo miss the old times......we laughed and just had fun!
More an more demands are coming down and no wonder these girls quit!

Girls give my head a shake when I start whining in September!
heh let's me for coffee at my house the first day of school and go Ya Hoo!
Breakfast too, who is coming??

miler
Miler is offline   Reply With Quote

Trinia2

Wondering
Old 06-28-2008, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There are so many times that I wonder if retirement was the best decision for me.

I am really excited about only having two more years to teach, butI do worry about filling the void. Teaching has been my whole life. I eat, breathe, and sleep teaching. I'm so glad it's summer and I have time to catchup on things I have neglected, but I had a nightmare about school lst night. It is always there, which is why I spend a lot of time on these boards. When did you retire? Financially, it really makes no sense to teach beyond full retirement age. I honestly don't think I would ever sub. Maybe I would consider tutoring.
Trinia2 is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Retirement Rocks (mostly)
Old 06-28-2008, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Longivity does not run in my family so I retired with bells on as soon as I way able. I was not really leaving teaching but escaping from a situation that had become intolerable. Lets face it. You can't make premium icecream out of skim milk. No amount of meetings and mandates will change that.
I won't lie. In many way I was terrified to retire. I was giving up enough bull to fertilize an entire neighborhood but was also giving up all structure and most of my friends. However, I lucked into the perfect retirement job. I work for a credit recovery program run through our local Career Education High School for about 25 hours a week. I get to just teach. The kids want to be there. There are no behavior issues or drama, and I don't have to be there until noon. I found this opportunity mostly by keeping my ears open. There are lots of these jobs out there. Its actually the social void that has been harder to fill. School friends forget you...and it happens pretty fast. Neighborhood friends are still working. All in all though, retirement at 30 years was the right decision.

Miler

Trinia2"s ?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You sound a lot like me trying to decide when to retire!
I too lived for school and just the frenzy of it all........
I like routine and having my day planned for me.
However, the motivation wasnt there and the curriuculumn changed and we couldnt read novels anymore and the kids were sooo weak!
After the 85 factor it didnt pay me to stay ........and I thought it is time ,,,,,,,I cried all day that day!
And one little boy who had such a good year with me said Mrs. T you were my best teacher!
And that is what I remember about leaving!
Couldnt get better eh!

I would love to teach part time 9:00 to 11:00 and you know when we were young we wanted the seasoned teachers to leave sooo we could get jobs too!

It continues to be hard this summer not to get ready to go back to class! I am still grieving!

miler

xcaped

Been There
Old 08-06-2008, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The first summer is really hard. You think that you should be on top of the world and in reality you are down in the dumps. I grieved my entire first summer. I met my former team mates for lunch at the beginning of the school year and cried all the way home. It was tough.

This summer was entirely different. I am thankful for my "deliverance". I look at the calendar and giggle. The back to school ads don't give me either the willies or the weepies. Retirement is a HUGE change. Give yourself time to adjust. Good luck

Miler

Thanks xcaped!
Old 08-23-2008, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You know ,I must be honest I have been sooo busy this summer with kids moving and a new baby coming and baby showers and running.
But when summer fades and Fall rolls in I am starting to get sad!
The hub bub on the first day and kids in their new clothes, love it!
And everyone busily doing their seatwork.
Please remind me that lasts for a week only!

You know excaped maybe I am afraid to say I am enjoying my time!
I feel sooo healthy and peaceful and not stressed.
I never took a lot of time off when i had kids sooo I could go early.
For the first time in years I have slept and no school chatter in my head.

Yes, even the school ads dont get me all upset and I havent even cracked open a book to plan.... Trust me I always starting planning early August! If not the end of July!
I miss that routine of the day.........but when I hear a new math curriculumn and more testing ........nope!
I miss those days when all had art on rainy days and we laughed and talked with our kids. Sniff!

Ok,no more whining! Thanks for being there xcaped!

miler

RR

Help!
Old 08-23-2008, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Reading this made me want to say that Sept. 21 will be the 30th anniversary of signing my first contract. I am in a contract where we have to give 4 years notice toward retirement, and it is irrevocable. I did that last spring. Now, I get the moody blues--one day, it is "why, oh, why did I do it?" The next, "LET ME OUT OF HERE, Now!"
I am telling myself, look at it as graduation, 3 years after this. But, what do I graduate to?
RR is offline   Reply With Quote