Help

Retired Teachers

The 403 B blues!

>

Renea

The 403 B blues!
Old 07-13-2008, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just checked my 403 B funds and see that one of the funds has lost a lot of money. The stock market has really made me think that I can't retire until the it improves. That sounds crazy doesn't it! Any one else worried about their retirement funds? What are you doing besides worrying?

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Sue W.

I switched
Old 07-15-2008, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just retired at the end of this past school year. I don't plan on using my 403B funds at this time. I had that money rolled into a money market fund with the same company. The interest is fairly low but its safer and I don't have to pay a penalty or taxes on it at this time.
Sue W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. G

Don't Look!!!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It makes me sick when I get a statement that has gone down! I know the market will pick back up, so I choose not to see how much I've lost right now.
Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote

Trinia2

403b
Old 07-17-2008, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mine has taken a nosedive as well. However, I am planning to contribute more to it this September for my last two years of teaching. From what I read, dollar cost averaging works. While the market is down now, you are buying more shares at lower prices. Now if you're planing to use it right away, that's a different story. I plan to access mine after 10, 15 years, not before. I will have more shares and when the market goes up, my 403 will grow. I am not an expert, but that is what I am doing. My only wish is that I had started irt earlier. I only began it about 10 years ago. I always thought our pension would be enough, but I am starting to worry.
Trinia2 is offline   Reply With Quote