Classroom Management

Recommended Reading

>

teenym

teenym

Recommended Reading
Old 01-31-2011, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm applying to an after-school activities position at a middle school and am searching for books about class management that I could read before my second interview.

I've worked with middle schoolers before but was lucky enough not to encounter a lot of behavioral problems, but the school I'm applying to has a bit of a reputation for bad behavior.

Please let me know about your favorite books or tricks to use for discipline, or about teaching middle schoolers in general.

Thanks!

Simple Simon

Recommended
Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Classroom Behaviour - Bill Rogers
Cracking the Hard Class
Tools for Teaching - Fred Jones

Of these three, the Fred Jones one is probably the most directly applicable to the US style of school and teaching, and it is probably also the most comprehensive in that it covers issues broader than just behaviour. He offers a few simple and practical techniques that combine to make up an overall systematic approach. He does tend to treat kids as being a fairly homogeneous lot though, and his approach tends to be "one-size-fits-all".

Bill Rogers, on the other hand, goes into a lot more depth in terms of behaviour and how it relates to different personality types. He is also far more specific about the types of behaviour found, not just in the classroom, but also in other situations in and around the school. While his background is mostly in British and Australian education, I'd suggest that his insights and techniques are pretty universal.

Good luck.
Simple Simon is offline   Reply With Quote

DoxieTeacher

Old 02-01-2011, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Setting Limits in the Classroom by MacKenzie is great. Rick Morris is also fabulous.
DoxieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
teenym

teenym

thank you!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for all the suggestions. I rocked my interview and start my new job tomorrow!!