ARCHIVE

Teachers need to be able to spell

>

viktoriag

viktoriag

this is funny
Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This thread reminds me of the thread a few months back with the sub who said that we were basically all inadequate because we had shortcomings. Why can I not remember the title?

I am a wonderful speller, often a terrible typist - and I will try to proof, but the brain does fill in those letters when it thinks it typed them!

I do want to add a pet peeve that I have: I was in a first grade class last week and the teacher had made an "About Me" poster. All of the pictures of her and her husband had captions that read "Husband and I at the beach, Husband and I at our wedding, Husband and I on a cruise, etc" I know the kids were probably too young to know the difference, but things like that make me twitch!!!

Ms Spelling

Ms Spelling

Teachers need to be able to spell
Old 04-08-2006, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am putting this "out there" because I have noticed misspellings and poor grammar in a lot of posts and this surprises me! I know I am being picky, its just a bulletin post. I just wanted to share because I know many of you are trying to get a regular teaching job, so if you truly can not spell or have poor grammar, I would suggest a "brush up" in those areas. This post, by the way, is with lightheartedness, please don't take offense. I guess reading the post and stumbling over words spelled like "recieve" etc.. bother me after awhile. Okay, that's my two cents, or should I say, "too scents."

monander

Spelling
Old 04-08-2006, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I respect your candor and concern, but this is an informal forum. I am more concerned with venting than watching my subject verb agreement when on this message board, and I bet that applies to the other posters. I agree that teachers should know how to spell and speak properly. In NYS we have to take about 3 state exams, each require prospective teachers to write an essay, and we have to get our graduate degree within 2 years to get intial certification. In all my years of school, going back to elementary, I have never seen a teacher misspell a word in class.

I think we are just having fun while on this site and do not have time to proor-read our messages. :-)
monander is offline   Reply With Quote

Hockey Fan

time of day
Old 04-08-2006, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have been guilty,myself, of having typos in these posts. I do tend to preview my messages, however, I'm human.

Many of the posts are done at the end of a long day, early hours of the morning, etc. This board is to offer support, friendship, etc. While I do appreciate your input, I think we are all aware of the importance of presenting ourselves professionally and being accountable throughout the work day.
Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

Old 04-08-2006, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Relax--most of us are writing in the "first draft" mode! I strive to type accurately, but know that I don't always. Spelling is not everyone's forte nevertheless. It doesn't mean you wouldn't be a good teacher. Maybe bad spellers would improve if they had to teach spelling all the time! I am not that good at math thingies. Does that mean I should crawl under a rock? I tellya, I got much better at math stuff the years that I taught them!

fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

"out there"
Old 04-08-2006, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

well, you have, as you said, put yourself "out there".

if you are going to gripe about incorrect writing (done by people who are usually short on time, exhausted, and at their wit's end), you should make sure your writing is impeccable; it's only fair.

"it's" not its
one run-on
cannot is one word
the phrase you probably meant to use is "a while"

gosh! it is really annoying to be corrected; isn't it?

i recognize that your post is "lighthearted", but long-time proteacher users agreed ages ago to let grammar and mechanics errors go; we all know we are professional; we all know that this writing is relaxed and personal--done at any other time, we would do a much better job of editing.

we need to agree to all relax and not judge others by their minor writing errors.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote
SubTeacherMan

SubTeacherMan

Old 04-08-2006, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We're human, so misspellings will happen. I'd be concerned if the whole posting were littered with misspellings, but the message definitely matters more than the grammar.

Hifiman

Too cool Tia
Old 04-08-2006, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I liked your post. I would say more, but I don't want the spelling police to get me
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

Ms Spelling...
Old 04-08-2006, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Tia pointed out a few errors, and I'll add another: comma splice! My college English 101 teacher would take a letter grade for that one!

Also, why two periods after "etc"?

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote

tracecares

It is okay
Old 04-08-2006, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This board doesn't have anything with being gramatically correct. I know that you are just putting out your concern as a teacher. It might be possibly that some people struggle with spelling. Just because someone has a teaching degree doesn't mean they are great at everything. I do okay in English but I have always struggled in Math. Just because I took Math in college and have my Bachelor's degree doesn't mean I won't struggle. Whenever I sub in Math at the high school I always have to look over lesson before class and still might not know how to do all of its. Sometimes I think some of the best teachers are the ones that have struggled in school and can understand other students who struggle. Some teachers who excel in a subject just fly through the lesson and many students do not understand. Yet this is a free opinion board but sometimes do have to be careful with other people's feelings.

tracecares is offline   Reply With Quote
LynneLC

LynneLC

Ms. Spelling, I see your point
Old 04-08-2006, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I did get the impression you were just trying to be helpful with your suggestions, though as others mentioned, I did notice a couple errors in your own post. People are often tired and in a rush when they post here...

On the other hand, I think others are being a bit quick to "take you to task" as I have the feeling your intent was a helpful one, not a critical one.
twin2

twin2

recent news article
Old 04-08-2006, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Does anyone remember the recent news article concerning the lax attitude in e-mails. I forget it if was a study, or just concern being expressed. They were talking about how most people are so informal in their e-mails, using lots of ... (me - I'm always using dot, dot, dot!!!), mis-spelling / abbreviation of words (what do they call that when they do that, you know like l.o.l. meaning laugh out loud), or otherwise not using those so important grammar, spelling skills we should have learned in school.

DANNYCA

I'm not good
Old 04-08-2006, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm not good at spelling but I'm still good at other things. Well, we all are good at something but not necessary at spelling. I wonder when is spelling a question of life and death? Hmm! Yes, pharmacists, fill the prescription with the right medicine. One must able to read the instructions on different products. Yes, I can see the applications. But here on this site is probably a good idea to try to spell right just foer practice. Practice makes perfect. Hmm!
DANNYCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Love spelling!
Old 04-09-2006, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

You can all be comforted in knowing that this board is pretty good when it comes to spelling and grammar. I am a bit of a spelling perfectionist. The only other chat board I read is for a daytime soap and let me tell you, you guys are spelling Gods and Goddesses in comparison!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
twin2

twin2

teach 'em right
Old 04-09-2006, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I once subbed in a class of 3rd graders where the teacher allowed the class to come up with their own spelling words. She would give a pattern, and the class would come up with the words. I gave the test, proceeded to correct them, and many of the kids kept missing the same word. I knew of her spelling lists and checked the big paper list the kids would have copied their words from. Of course the word was misspelled on her list. I was horrified. I can overlook spelling errors here, but not in the classroom.

I also had a parent complain to me about another teacher who started to do her spelling lists the same way. Her son was coming home with words that were spelled incorrectly. She wasn't sure if the teacher was misspelling them, or if her son was copying the words wrong.

Mrs C

And the prize goes to....
Old 04-09-2006, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The worst spelling mistake I ever saw wasn't in a school, but it amused me so I thought I'd mention it anyway. It was in the supermarket & they apparently had "BROCKLEY" on sale
Mrs C is offline   Reply With Quote

istoleahalo

Another Pirze Winner...
Old 04-10-2006, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

A Flower shop down the road has a BOWKAY of roses on sale

I have never been a good speller and struggled with it my entire life. I'm happy if I get most of the words correct and my message is understood
istoleahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Bess

Bess

I vs me
Old 04-10-2006, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

It is unbelievable how many professionals/educated use the I instead of ME when it is really so simple to figure out which one should be used.

DANNYCA

Spelling Tests
Old 04-11-2006, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Spelling test is not the best tool to teach spelling. The only good thing would be routine, students expect it every week or so and are ready to be competitive. There is no high academic value for the Spelling Test. My opinion.
DANNYCA is offline   Reply With Quote
CÚlia Luiz

CÚlia Luiz

Spelling
Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

You should consider the context: digital forums. It is very commom to make spelling mistakes in such contexts, and it doesn't mean the participants can't write well.

kali

no one cares...
Old 04-12-2006, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

and besides, there is no spell check!!
kali is offline   Reply With Quote
JRE1415

JRE1415

Spelling
Old 04-13-2006, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Teachers should know how to spell. But, even more imprtantly, we should learn to accept structured and/or constructive criticism. So many teachers (adults) are so sensitive to colleagues criticizing them that ehy forget that we are all constantly learning. If your correct a teacher the first thing that they say is that you are condescending. Condescending? If your self esteem is so low that you have to describe constructive criticism as condescending, then I feel sorry for you that no one can share information with you. It is unfortunate that we live in a world today where everyone feels that they should not have to maintain a certain standard. People nowadays just want to get by doing the bare minimum. Sometimes, this includes professionals, adminstrators and teachers.
Ms Spelling

Ms Spelling

Well Said...
Old 04-13-2006, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Well said JRE1415. Geez, look at your self-esteem...what good is constructive criticism...I guess we should just forget trying to help one another out if it is going to "crush you." One post regarding misspellings may apply to only 2 of you, not everyone! And my post did say "Please don't take offense."

Hifiman

Give me a break!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

JRE - lighten up and take the crusade to people who care.

Ms. Spelling - Your "lighthearted" post was not to amuse us, it was to point out that we were substandard. I for one want to be helped with my spelling and grammar, but I want it done by someone who can first post an error-free thread.

monander

Old 04-14-2006, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Ms. Spelling,
You ruffled a lot of feathers.
monander is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrhdaisy0

Fyi
Old 04-16-2006, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Just a little helpful tip:
Any time you're typing a correspondence for which there is no spell-check, copy & past the message in an email window. Then you can check for errors in the email before finalizing the post on the web. I'm not telling anyone they SHOULD do this; I'm just sharing a helpful tip that works for me!
Mrhdaisy0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Old 04-16-2006, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

copy & past the message in an email window. - Mrhdaisy

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist. It seems that this helpful tip doesn't work well for you.

ashb70

Constructive criticism???
Old 04-17-2006, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Ms Spelling: "Well said JRE1415. Geez, look at your self-esteem...what good is constructive criticism...I guess we should just forget trying to help one another out if it is going to "crush you." One post regarding misspellings may apply to only 2 of you, not everyone! And my post did say "Please don't take offense."

Ms Spelling, I really am having a hard time believing that you can't understand why so many people are taking offence at your post. Your user name is MS SPELLING for goodness sake!!! How arrogant is that?! Most people don't want to take any kind of advice from someone who has so smugly put themselves in a position of superiority. If you truly are trying to offer constructive criticism you need to rethink the tone and delivery of your message.
ashb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alicia G

Alicia G

Let's spell correctly for the kids at least!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

And for the parents!

When my second oldest was in preschool (preschool!) we got these evaluation report cards four times a year. Usually, everything was upbeat and positive, but I still remember the teacher saying that "Mary needs to work on her speling." [sic] Yes, preschool.

Here, we're all just typing in, not proofing, and here it doesn't really matter.

Let's get it right though when we are being professionals and not sweat it when we're gabbing online.

Alicia