Help

BusyBoard

STEM Door decorating ideas

>

kahluablast

STEM Door decorating ideas
Old 11-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone have any door decorating idea for a STEM holiday door? Every year we have this stupid contest, which is voluntary.... However, who wants to be the teacher that doesn't participate? Kids most definitely notice, although I think it is a total waste of resources (me), time, and paper. Ultimately, I would like the students to do the work, but that takes time away from curriculum.

Does anyone have anything? We are doing physical science in Decemeber if that matters.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Interactive?
Old 11-18-2018, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The masochist in me says make some Rube Goldberg machine/marble run on your door. You can talk about gravity, kinetic energy, potential energy, friction, levers, pulleys, the possibilities are endless....as is the work.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-18-2018, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have my room moms do the door decorating thing. I don't have any STEM ideas, though...sorry.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 11-18-2018, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think like Hokie. This wouldn't be simple, but it might be fun. I don't know how old your students are. I do screen-free coding activities with my students using our carpet, but you could adapt it to your door.

Maybe do some type of screen-free coding activity with a holiday theme. i.e. Help the gingerbread man get back to his gingerbread house. Have a large grid covering your door. Place the "gingerbread man" at start, a gingerbread house at a different spot and have characters from the story(cow, dog...) blocking different pathways. (You can make it cute by adding candy decorations.)

Challenge students to find the shortest and safest way for the gingerbread man to get back to the gingerbread house. You can use index cards to make a bunch of command cards-forward arrow, back arrow, left turn arrow, right turn arrow for students to use. Maybe have a command center next to your door with paper with row of blank boxes for students to write down the code and submit. Have your class check to see if the code works. If it doesn't, have them find where the code went wrong and fix it. (Mathematical practices-persevere in solving problems.)

If you laminate the grid and the pieces, you could have your students set up the grid each day. Start out simple with just one obstacle. Then each day increase the level of difficulty by changing the location of the characters and adding more obstacles.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Origami
Old 11-19-2018, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know it takes a bit of time but what about creating origami Christmas ornaments.

You can create one large tree and have the students create the ornaments
https://www.origami-fun.com/christmas-origami.html

Perhaps create a snowman out of large white wedding bows and have the students create origami snowflakes
https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/orig...wflake-4149531

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Periodic Table Words
Old 11-19-2018, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This was a back to school door that I saw on IG, but you could change it to a Christmas theme by making three copies of the element squares for Holmium (HO) which would read HO HO HO and then just add some Christmas decor or have your kids make snowflakes or something else.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 11-20-2018, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How about one of these?

https://pin.it/ulyokpm2acmboe

https://pin.it/wryanv4s5pl3sv

Hope the links work.
cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 11-20-2018, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am a bit of a looser when it comes to door decorating. Mostly because I hate it and I think that its not the best use of my time when there are pressing TEACHING related things to do.

I tend to put up a premade bulletin board set on my door. I have this one for stem.
http://https://ibuyofficesupply.com/...yABEgJ8-PD_BwE

BUT after seeing the cardboard tube marble run I think it would be easy to do that. Just cut out a big green paper conifer hot glue the tubes until they zig zag into the shape of of a the tree. You can paint them green or make them colorful like a sash on the tree. That's cute and not too difficult.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Quack!

Door
Old 11-20-2018, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Make your door an interactive bulletin board. Below is a Chemis-tree. You can make a flat tree shape and then then attach the ornaments with tape. Create a scavenger hunt for the kids explore the different elements. You could change it up each week.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...-Board-4169410

Last edited by Quack!; 11-20-2018 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: I realized the link didn't take you to what I saw on my phone.
Quack! is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 11-20-2018, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In our state, IN, we're not allowed to put anything on our doors. State fire marshal won't approve.

jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 11-25-2018, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Buy a pack of white coffee filters and let the kids make snowflakes. Put them all over the door with something like:
STEM is "snow" so much fun!
Merry STEMmas!

Bonus points for snapping a few pics if the kids making them. Print them and stick them on the door, too.

Here are the directions:
https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/how-...flakes-1253822
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-26-2018, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks for all the ideas! I am going to file them for now as I have convinced myself NOT to participate. It really annoys me that the classes with EA's have these super monstrosity displays - really, they take up a good chunk of hallway, and for the most part, have nothing to do with curriculum or classroom display. Maybe kids make snow flakes or do a short writing, but that is all.

I am not doing it. And, yes, I will feel guilty if I am the only one who doesn't and my kids say something... I did buy one of those plastic door covers that says "Let it snow."
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote