Writing & Language Arts

1st day of school assignment

>

Mrs. D

Mrs. D

1st day of school assignment
Old 07-31-2006, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for a creative writing assignment for the first day of school for high school students. I have done the "I am poems" and I think the kids have done them before so they aren't very thrilled about those. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie

mellen

What if...
Old 07-31-2006, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you asked the students to write about what they would be doing today if they didn't have to start school. It would be a fun, silly way of getting to know them a little, without them writing about themselves directly.
mellen is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

not summer
Old 07-31-2006, 10:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

i've had my 6th graders write about what they DIDN'T do this summer.

(i allowed them to write in either style: "I didn't sail the seven seas with plundering pirates....I didn't...." which can be somewhat cumbersome...or just lie and say the did: "I traveled across the burning sands of Saudi Arabia...")
tia is offline   Reply With Quote
ddot

ddot

Brave New High School
Old 08-01-2006, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have the students design the kind of high school they would create if they were Bill Gates or Oprah Winfrey. Let them tell you what is right and wrong with high school.

We are labeled as a dropout nation. Let the students present their ideas on what would prevent students from dropping out. According to the data, every 9 seconds a student drops out. Give them a chance to suggest changes and then really discuss them.

wig

Old 08-01-2006, 11:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach middle school, but this is what I do:

I have the students write me a five paragraph letter on their favorite things.

Paragraph one - Introduce yourself. What do you want me to know about you?

Paragraphs two to four - Each paragraph should be about one favorite thing (we brainstorm ideas ahead of time - food, books, games, TV/movies, sports, etc.). Tell me what and why it is your favorite and give me some details/examples/stories.

Paragraph 5 - What do you want to learn this year in this class? Are there specific things you are interested in? Are there weak areas you would like to improve? Strengths you would like to develop further?

wig is offline   Reply With Quote
luvs Dale JR

luvs Dale JR

1st day of school
Old 08-03-2006, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you have inspiration or kidspiration they could do a web with some brief info on themselves and then maybe do an autobiogrphy or have them do a biography on each other

J.Elaine

Poetry
Old 08-07-2006, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you are looking for poetry, here are couple to try.

*"I Can't . . . But I Can" Ex. I can't swim the ocean, but I can join the swim team at my school. I can't clean up all the litter in the world, but I can make sure I'm not a litterbug. etc.

*"I Hate it When . . ." Ex. I hate it when oversleep, miss my bus, leave all my homework at home, and forget my lunch. etc.

OR

*"It Bugs Me When . . ." Ex. It bugs me when my little sister reads my diary the morning after I write about my new crush. etc. (You could write final drafts of this poem on a bug shape.)
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote