Help

The VENT

Cried during a meeting

>

hikinghiker

Cried during a meeting
Old 09-25-2019, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well...that was embarrassing. We were called in today to talk about Action Plans for our low kids. We had to fill out these action plans with trends that we noticed and how we would help them grow.

I noted one successful trend and one low trend. We sat with our supervisor and discussed our action plans. We were all in the same conference room, just sitting and conversing with only our supervisor. Well immediately my supervisor (the P) starts critiquing that I didn't do enough. She wasn't being mean. I was defending why I didn't use Dibels in my trends and she said that I was being too opinionated and teachers are supposed to look at just the data. After a few more comments (none of them really rude) I started crying, in front of everyone.

Which sucked.

Honesty she wasn't being rude. I felt upset that I was being critiqued on something that wasn't laid out as a guideline, felt that my voice wasn't being heard, and I already felt like my supervisor doesn't like me (which I'm even more positive now that I cried in front of her over something so stupid).

Anyone want to join in on my pity party and share some stories that will make me feel less embarrassed for crying even though I still feel upset and a little bit like crying still?

Also, should I email her or write her a note with an apology?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

omacrulzzz

Please don't apologize
Old 09-25-2019, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Please don't apologize. You're human. It happens. If the admin doesn't understand that, they need to rethink the way they supervise people. Sound to me like they need to be more clear about how they want you to do the job. Don't worry about whether the supervisor likes you. I've been working in the same school 15 years and i've had 11 admins and 3 supervisors in that time. They aren't worth the thought.
omacrulzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Excellent reply G
Old 09-25-2019, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It will be long forgotten, you can let it go as well.

Oh yes, i have had a complete nervous breakdown with 2 bosses. I was trying too hard, ineffectively, for too long working with very difficult 10 year olds.

I have also become emotional in a meeting even pounding my fist on the table because my school had no reading program and old textbooks. We got books after this...

I have cried in front of students when reading emotionally charged passages to my class.

you are okay
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

FLTeacherMom

Giiiirrrrlllll
Old 09-25-2019, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I lost my s$&@ on my current P twice...so far. I donít regret it one bit. Whatís the worst they can do? Fire me? OK? BYE FELICIA! There are other jobs out there. See ya! I work my butt off and Iím good at what I do. Iím done with being taken advantage of. Plus...Ps come and go. Pffft this P doesnít like me ok Iíll still be here when your a$$ moves on. 👋
FLTeacherMom is online now   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Donít worry
Old 09-25-2019, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It happens because we are all human and we get tired and stressed, and care about our jobs. If your co-workers and admin are decent people, they feel nothing but sympathy and support.

I had a meeting with a new AP who was nicely relaying parentsí objections to something. Parent was wrong but AP wanted to make it go away by my giving student credit for something he didnít do, that he was capable of doing. I cried. I couldnít help it. I had been working so hard with this student and a mom didnít care. I told AP it wasnít him that was upsetting me. He understood.

It happens.

Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

bayteacher97

Old 09-25-2019, 11:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I once cried during science camp at a table full of camp counselors and co teachers. Was so embarrassed I had to leave the table. Apparently the kids were not the only homesick ones! To make it worse, I might be a story that they tell again and again to new fifth grade teachers... the crying teacher at science camp.
bayteacher97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I agree with the PPs
Old 09-26-2019, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've cried several times already this school year. Once in front of my Director, once in front of the students (accidentally) and once in front of a parent (but held it together fairly well.) All the other times were private.

IF you feel you must apologize, do not apologize for crying!~ You might apologize for making them uncomfortable--IF that.

I've never cried this much-even that first horrid year. Sometimes I wonder if it is time to go. Move on to something else. That makes me cry too.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 09-26-2019, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I feel for you. I've cried a couple of times too in my career, never in front of a lot of people, but 1 when I was feeling overwhelmed/stressed. All I can do is stop crying as soon as I could and move on like it didn't happen. I wish you better days!
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote