Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Smoke detector stories?

>

amiga13

Smoke detector stories?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:47 AM

Haley got me thinking about my life with smoke detectors. I’ll bet we all have favorite smoke detector stories. Please share.

*When I was preparing to sell my old house, I was told I needed more smoke detectors because regulations had changed, particularly for open floor plans like mine. I wound up with 7 smoke detectors in 1 house. 7! When I think about the lovely new owners, I always hope there were no clunkers in the bunch.

*My first morning here in my condo, I was halfway through my morning shower and heard an alarm. Ugh, smoke detector wailing from another room. So loud and I was running around wet, towel wrapped around me, hoping my new neighbors wouldn’t hate me sight unseen. Fortunately I had a step ladder.

What about you? Smoke detector stories?

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-22-2019, 08:35 AM

For some reason the last time we had a power outage, our smoke detectors went off nonstop. Yes, for a couple of hours. They are hardwired with battery backup, so we didn't know how to shut them off. They never did that before, but I think it could have to do with our alarm system. I kept expecting fire trucks to show up. I'm still not sure what to do about that.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

My story
Old 10-22-2019, 10:32 AM

happened at a hotel. It was a story night with lots of thunder and lightening. The smoke detectors went off about 12:30. Nobody at the hotel knew how to shut them off so they blared for about 20 minutes. The front desk clerk finally was able to call someone to walk her through shutting them off. They went off again within the hour. That desk clerk had to call the first one back to the hotel to shut them off. Not the most restful nights sleep at a hotel that we had!
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Hmm...
Old 10-22-2019, 01:33 PM

before we could sign a contract with our buyer we had to have a fire inspector come. He tested all the smoke detectors, the CO2 alarm and checked the fire extinguishers, then signed off on an official paper.

When we moved to a new home we had our windows open and some how there was smoke in the area. Our alarms went off and I was startled to not hear the horrible siren instead there was a loud female voice shouting FIRE! FIRE! then two beeps, repeated over and over.

IDK if you meant hard wired and will automatically call the fire department or just hardwired as in will work without a battery. If the signal goes directly to the FD or 911, you should call the dept. or 911 and report it as a false alarm immediately.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

jml122

Several Summers ago
Old 10-22-2019, 02:05 PM

Several summers ago, I was staying by myself at a KOA in Montana, right outside Yellowstone. Right about 11 pm, my first night there, the smoke alarm in my cabin started randomly beeping. At first, I thought it was from someone's campfire. I closed the window. It continued to randomly beep, one beep here, three minutes later, 4 beeps. No pattern whatsoever. The ceilings were super high, and I am on the short side. I couldn't disconnect it myself. I walked around the camp trying to find anyone that worked at the site to help me. Couldn't find a sole. Finally, I gave up, grabbed my sleeping bag and went to "sleep" in my car. They changed the batteries the next morning but didn't give me a discount.

The whole experience did bring laughter to the trip, but added even more anxiety to my fear of fire alarms. You should see me during a school fire drill.

jml122 is online now   Reply With Quote