Help

First Grade

Letter a day

>

bubbleepink

Letter a day
Old 06-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I use the "letter a week" method this year, but found that it didn't really work to teach my students the letter sounds. Does anyone use the letter a day format? If so what does your program look like?

bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

smilezala1982

letters/letter sounds in 1st?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you teach 1st grade? By the time they reach first grade, they should already know all of their letters and sounds. Maybe they should have been held back in Kinder if they didn't know their letters or sounds. If they are missing 1-2 that's not a big deal, but Common Core says they should know all letters and letter sounds in Kindergarten (our district said by December). If you have a whole class of students who are lacking, I would talk to your principal about talking to your Kinder team about what they are teaching and maybe they need to make a change!
smilezala1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

Grade 1 - High Risk
Old 06-15-2012, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At our school most do not attend kinder and their first ever experience with print comes in grade 1. Unfortunately, those who do attend Kindergarten at our school also do not know very much about letter sounds, but at least they can identify them. When I asked the Kinder teacher about this last year she said "when they come to me, they can't even write their names!" as to say she has no time to teach them the sounds of letters as well as their names. Due to politics in the school nothing will be done about her teaching methods/strategies or lack there of, so I need to focus on how I will deal with it instead.

At the end of grade 1 this year a few still do not know all of the letters and letter sounds which is why I am looking for a different strategy for teaching this concept.

Also, in Canada we do not follow the Common Core Curriculum.

With that said I will post this on the Kinder board as well, I didn't think of that! Thanks

Last edited by bubbleepink; 06-15-2012 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Adding stuff.

smilezala1982

Old 06-15-2012, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Goodness, I am sorry you have to deal with a class full of kids not ready for first grade Well, I just went to a workshop 2 days ago and they said to make sure they know the letter sound before combining the letter with the letter sound. Phonological Awareness comes first and then once they know the letter sound you introduce the letter that goes with it. Now in the mean time, they can learn the letter names, but you shouldn't connect the two until they know the sound.

To a lot of people, that info is completely different from what they're used to. But it's the same way Literacy First teaches you to teach sounds/letters.

You could play games such as "I have/Who has? The first time around you could play with the names of letters. The second time around you could play with letter sounds.

Play musical chairs with letters written on a piece of paper and laying on the chairs or below the chair. When the music stops, have the kids say their letter and the sound it makes.

Sing a little chant every single day of the letter, letter sound and a picture that begins with that sound. I use the pictures from an alphabet chart. The chant I sing goes: A is for apple, /a/ /a/ apple, B is for ball, /b/ /b/ ball.... The whole time I point to the letter as we are singing. You could have students be helpers and point to the letters after you teach them what to do.

Hope these ideas help. Good luck!

smilezala1982

Forgot your question...sorry
Old 06-15-2012, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just posted ideas, but you were just asking about how fast to teach them. I would focus on 2-4 letters a week, but definitely review every letter every day.

Malene

Jan Richardson
Old 06-15-2012, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would recomend reading anything you can on how Jan Richardson says to excelerate Kindergarteners and Firsties that don't know their letters.
See pg. 2 of this link where it tells how to have them letter trace everyday.
http://www.readingrecovery.org/pdf/c...e_Gap_In_K.pdf
THis is her website. http://www.janrichardsonguidedreading.com/home
Her book, Next Step in Guided Reading has really helped me work with my class of transitional First Graders.
Malene is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

Great!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

These are all great ideas! Thank you so much!

tripteach

Love!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just love jan Richardson! I just wanted to add that in!
tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

I have done a letter a day
Old 06-16-2012, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

when I taught Kindergarten (full day alternate days in Ontario). Previously we had done a letter a week, and were told we needed to teach one letter a day. We too had kids coming in with little or no exprience with literacy. Because the kids were only at school 2 or 3 days a week depending on the week, we would introduce 2 new letters each week and then on the Friday we would work on reviewing all of the previously introduced letters. I used the Leap Frog songs and videos, "A says ah, A says A, every letter makes a sound, A says A". By January, most of the kids knew the letters and sounds. I would teach the letter name, the sound it made and then an action associated with the letter (most from Leap Frog) for example, the A action was to hold you hands up like you were scared because A says ahhhhhhhhhh like you are really scared.
I know of another Kindergarten teacher who would show the Leap Frog "Letter Factory" every day while the kids ate lunch, the songs stick in the kids' heads.
I really think that giving an action gives everyone another option to recall the letter sounds. I know when kids can't generate the sounds on thier own, if I demonstrate the action (even 2 years later as I am currently teaching a group of Grade 1 students that I used this method with in JK) they can generate the action.
Hope this was helpful.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

Jolly Phonics
Old 06-16-2012, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I use Jolly Phonics for the kenesthetic aspect of letter learning, but these ideas are great too! Are the Leap Frog resources free? Those would be really interesting. I am doing a lot of the things suggested thus far - chart with pictures etc. I have to find a good alphabet song now!

Evrmoi21

Sadly Leap Frog isn't free
Old 06-16-2012, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Toys R Us sells them for about $10 a video, or I was able to get them from our board's video library or even the public Library had copies of the Letter Factory and the Talking Word Factory. The Letter Factory introduces the letters and the Talking Word Factory shows how to blend sounds to read the words.
I know a friend who got 3 of them in the series on amazon for about $25with free shipping. This was last summer, so I don't know what prices are like now but worth a try.

Last edited by Evrmoi21; 06-16-2012 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: forgot something.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I will look into that!

praktcentechr

Old 06-16-2012, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm thinking of bringing back a kindergarten practice I used to use that may help you. We had a sound basket. Every morning students could bring in an object, (or picture of) something that started with the target letter. We charted it, (wrote and drew a sketch of object) they took it home and I gave them something as a treat. Like for letter a I could give an apple jack or dried apple. I'm thinking for first grade I could move it up to words with short a in them, or in 2nd unit it may be CVCe pattern words.
praktcentechr is offline   Reply With Quote