Help

First Grade

Literacy Block

>

teach8381

Literacy Block
Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school has always had reading and writing workshop. Next school year my principal wants us to combine reading and writing. We are going to have a 90 minute literacy block. Does anyone do this in their school? If so what does it look like?

teach8381 is offline   Reply With Quote

mila15

Literacy Block
Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My initial reaction is that 90 minutes seems like an awfully short time for a literacy block-- especially in first grade! I'm wondering why the push to combine the two and shorten the block? We have a 120 minute block (approximately 60 minutes guided reading/literacy centers, 30 minutes shared reading, 30 minutes Writer's Workshop). Is it possible to have Writer's Workshop at a different time during the day?

If not, perhaps you can allow students to work on writing while you're meeting with guided reading groups or allow students to work in journals as morning work.
mila15 is offline   Reply With Quote

nicksgirl

Mila
Old 06-20-2012, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have always had the 90 minute block with reader's and writer's workshops and I have NEVER thought that it was enough time. I would LOVE to have a 120 minute block for ELA. We truly need it.

But... we still have to have 90 minutes of math, 45 mins of science, 45 mins of social studies, l30 min lunch, 30 min recess and I can't live without my 45 minutes of ancillary or specials.

How is your day broken down Mila?

To the OP, we have basically combined reading and writing. EVERY lesson we teach during the day has a writing componant. Including math. My only issue is that you don't always get as much direct focus on their writing and sometimes it seems like we just have a lot of wriing, but not a lot of "good" or focused writing. They are SO young and their writing often requires a lot of attention. We basically try to give them more individualized writing instruction during small group.
nicksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

mila15

Schedule
Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi Nicksgirl,

I think the biggest difference between my schedule and yours is that we only have one block of content area per day (Science OR Social Studies). We spend about 2-3 weeks on a unit then switch to the other subject. With that said, we also use a lot of nonfiction during our Literacy block.

As for instructional time, we have 40 minutes of remediation/enrichment (students change classrooms based on needs); 120 minutes of Literacy; 80 minutes of Math (including calendar); 40 minutes of content (Science/SS)

We also have a 30 minute lunch, 30 minute recess, and 50 minute special area class each day.

I think it would be interesting to see other first grade schedules!
mila15 is offline   Reply With Quote