Help

First Grade

Money behavior system

>

teach8381

Money behavior system
Old 06-23-2012, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone give out coins to kids for good behavior and then have them shop for a prize at the end of the week? I was thinking of using this system in my classroom. I was wondering if it works and how you use it in your classroom. Thanks

teach8381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mud Pie

Read
Old 06-23-2012, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am considering using this systsem too. A friend of mine uses it. I think she starts with play money pennies and slowly works up to nickels, then dimes, etc. She says that the kids become good at counting money. I am concerned about the management of the coins as far as losing them, dropping them and sticky fingers. Her students keep their coins in their pencil boxes.
Mud Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockin1stgrad

Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use it but I have a monthly store that I run by a volunteer. I use to give out money daily but I ran into a lot of kids stealing. (which ended up being a good life lesson.)

I have paid kids weekly. Then once a month some of them could exchange their coins for other coins.

I also have just paid students once a month. When I do it this way- I pay the students with coins that they can count. Some students would have all pennies and others would have a combination.

I love doing this because it not only teaches economics but rewards students for their good behavior.

I also tie in writing because I have them fill out a receipt as they are shopping.

During December, I pair students off with similar amounts of money. I have them interview their partner (language standards) then buy for their partner for a Christmas gift. it is adorable to hear their reasonig fr choosing certain items for their partner.
Rockin1stgrad is offline   Reply With Quote