Help

First Grade

Envisions Math- another question...

>

Ladybug03

Envisions Math- another question...
Old 06-23-2012, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I saw the post about Envisions Math and agree with a lot of the comments posted. One poster mentioned teaching the topics in a different order. So, I was curious...

Could you please share the order in which you teach all of the topics? Our school found it difficult to get all 20 topics taught!

Does anyone have a way of teaching them that worked well for you? What order do you use? I agree that some of them seem out of order.

Thanks!

Ladybug03 is offline   Reply With Quote

2novgirls

Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My list of order is at school, however we did meet with our cirr. director and all the other first grade teachers on a work day and rearranged the order. We moved things quite a bit, obviously we used our report card. Some topics that are no longer standards were moved to then EOY, ( money, etc). Or we just touched upon them when we could. I think rearranging the order is necessary, at least for us it was.
2novgirls is offline   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 06-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are going to rearrange as follows: 3, 4, 1, 2, 5, 6 and leave the rest. 1 and 2 are word-problem heavy, while 3 and 4 are 'count the dots, write the number' or 'find the missing part'/'count the total', which is a far better K review. I would have even preferred 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2. We also discussed the potential of putting geometry and/or data up front, since they're a good K review (count the bars, count the sides/corners, name the shapes) and have good independent practice activities associated (geoboards, pattern blocks, etc.) to get the kids going on building stamina during independent practice. Topics 1 and 2 are SO whole-group heavy it was torturous...Teacher reads word problem, everyone solve together, repeat or teacher reads problem, kids solve that one problem independently, kids wait around for their classmates to finish, repeat.

Good luck!
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ladybug03

Old 06-25-2012, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks so much for the replies. This is a great start! I definitely think rearranging is necessary. Just trying to find the best way!
Ladybug03 is offline   Reply With Quote