First Grade

Appropriate Higher Level books

>

Mumbles

Appropriate Higher Level books
Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi-
This is now my second year having a student who is reading at a high level. This year, my student ended at a level O. (He read the Harry Potter series and Percy Jackson books at home. I would actually sit with him in the morning to go over any questions he had as he was reading these books and was surprised at his understanding of them.) I was wondering if anyone has any book suggestions for students reading at this high level (or any levels from M and up) that is also age-appropriate. I have tried to find books to suggest to his parents, but as I read some of them I noticed that many dealt with adolescent problems and other themes not appropriate for a 7 year old.
Any ideas? I am worried that this may be a trend and I want to try to read some books this summer so I can make knowledgable suggestions to parents in the future and get some books in my classroom for "just right" reading time.

Thanks

Mumbles is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This past year I had 2 students (out of 9!) who were at the level you've described. I had them reading Great Illustrated Classics and it helped.

Toward the end of the year, I realized they had never read the I Can Read books everyone else was reading. They considered them 'too easy' and they were easy, but I had them read some for a project the whole class was doing. They enjoyed them so much! The humor was on their level. They read many of them and enjoyed them. They learned that just because a book is 'thin' doesn't mean it's not a good book.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Amy L

Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No suggestions from me, but, as a parent of a high reader, one thought is to use non-fiction books. My ds prefers these to fiction, though is reading the Harry Potter books, too. He just finished 2nd grade (don't know the level he can read, but at least where your student was). He read one Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but not until beginning 2nd grade, due to the humor (couldn't stand it at home, lol).

http://www.readinga-z.com/book/level...guided-reading
This site gives suggested titles; just googled it out of curiosity.
Amy L is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

curious
Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm just curious...what is a level O? What grade level is it equivalent to?
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

books
Old 06-25-2012, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here is a grade level equivalent chart, a Level O is 3/4 grade:
http://steckvaughn.hmhco.com/HA/corr...elingChart.pdf

Here is a pretty good list of books on that level:
http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/level-o

I taught a 1st grade class of gifted learners this year (18 students) and we actually used a lot of these books I think the important thing to remember is not just the reading level but also whether or not the student has the comprehension. I had students who could read middle school level books... however they had NO idea what they were actually reading. It was definitely harder with the high reading levels coupled with a younger age because there are some inappropriate topics in the books on their levels.

I pre-read a lot of books and also had some parents "screen" books for me as well.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Mumbles

Thank you!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for all the suggestions. I have had the "higher-readers" read books that are at a lower level so that they can appreciate the age-appropriate humor and relate to their peers who are reading the same books. Then I pull them aside at a separate time during the day to work on specific skills for their ability in higher books. The lists will be helpful in the future.
Thank You!!!
Mumbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-28-2012, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One of the things I've learned is that reading level has changed over the years, so older classics at a younger interest level have a higher reading level. So maybe look for older books that were meant for second graders.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote