Help

First Grade

Math Stations/Debbi Diller

>

jakelily

Math Stations/Debbi Diller
Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just went to a Debbi Diller training my district offered. I am trying to make sense of it all. Most people who do math stations use bins. Are there different activities in each bin? When you assign a few students to each bin, do they move on to the next one in line when they are finished? How often do you keep the same activities in each bin? Someone at the training suggested that you have 6-8 bins and maybe 1-2 be for your lower students, 3, 4, 5, for medium and 6, 7, 8 for higher. I wasn't sure if I should set up the bins per chapter. We typically are on one chapter for several weeks. Please any help you can provide me would be great. Believe it or not this is the most difficult part for me. Finding activities is the easiest for me to do. I just don't know how to organize it all so that it not a HUGE amount of work for me and the students don't get confused. I don't want to have to take time to figure out what they do next or if they finish their bin, I want to have a system that makes sense to all. I plan on having a chart of some sort that displays the bin number and the students names and such. If someone would be willing to give me a breakdown of what their math block looks like including the stations and any details you think would be helpful to a newbie trying out stations more than once a week. Thanks so much for your help.

jakelily is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

the way
Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand it is...the bins are open ended. Basic supplies for an activity, cubes, cards, dice, etc. and the students use it to reinforce skills. They are assigned a bin # to use for a while so they can just go get it. My storage is limited and I'm thinking of what some of the people calling the M-F cart. They have it at Michael's. Need to dig out my book and re-read. I started a year ago in a big room, but moved back to a smaller room and just didn't get to it...
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

edistonian

Old 06-15-2012, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am still struggling with this myself! I have tons and tons of activities but the rotation and the activites for them to do is the problem. Last year I used bins(dish tubs) with a number on it. I used the same pocket chart I used for Literacy stations. I just put a number (1-10) beside the two students who are partners. I rotated the numbers on the pocket chart. When it was time for them to change stations they went and got that numbered bin. My literacy stations work great because the two students go to the station and stay there quietly until it is time to rotate. I don't have room to have math stations for them to go to, so they have to get the station and find a place in the room. It is also SO LOUD with all the manipulatives and games going on! I am determined to get a system that works for me! I would also love to see how others have successfully implemented Math Stations and worked with small groups at the same time.
edistonian is offline   Reply With Quote

jakelily

I found some info...
Old 06-15-2012, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ok after researching for hours, I found a system that I think I can use in my classroom. If you watch this video, she explains it perfectly. However, I don't have a huge display area like she has so I would use a big chart with the pics and put the names on clothespins. Also, I would only have 8 activities and partner the students 2 per bin. In the bins will be several activities. Some bins will be for lower students and some for high and thats how I will partner my students. Also, my students will rotate through the 4 centers however, we will only have time for 1 each day so I will only have to plan the bins every chapter because they wouldn't even get through all the activities in the bin. Another thing is when we move on to the next chapter I could keep some of the old activities but switch them around for example, Bin 1 will have some of bin 2 or 3's activities so the students never saw them. I only plan to do these stations 3 times per week at first. I also plan to add smartboard and math journal questions mid year and replace math facts or use one of those in the bins. I think this could work without getting too confusing for myself and them. My goal is to only have them working with a partner at each center. So these are my rotations...
Math Facts/Computer -- 2 at computer and 2 at math facts, next week they switch
At your seat - 4 students but they won't be sitting at the same desks
Teacher's Choice- 4 in front of me at a small group
Hand's On 1-8 bins- 2 working on 1 bin and 2 working on another bin
Basically students will be assigned a bin that they always work out of and I will switch the bins around every 4 days but I will not have to create more things besides re-arange them among the bins. I will switch groups around at the end of each unit, for us that is like 3 or 4 chapters. I will add new things that we are learning to the bins as time goes on. I hope this makes sense. This is what I have been working on almost all day.

jakelily

Ahhh forgot the link
Old 06-15-2012, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here it is..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRTbkwnoz1M

Mommy2BnB

Wow!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great video! That was very helpful. I already knew about her blog, but didn't know she had videos. I watched all of hers because I was so impressed!
Mommy2BnB is offline   Reply With Quote