Help

Bluebonnet Room

Literature Circle start-up

>

capttorr18

Literature Circle start-up
Old 07-19-2008, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm planning on implementing more lit. circles this year, but I was wondering how people started. Last year we read Mr. Popper's Penguins as a class to practice what lit. circles were all about. I would model a job/role, then the next chapter I would let the students try the newly learned strategy on their own. That part went fine. However, I ran into a problem when we went into actual groups. Do you have a schedule/rotation set in place for each group (as in who has which job, when they switch)?

dsujammun

Here's an Idea
Old 07-19-2008, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since the county purchased basil readers for us, I choose to use them as the starting off tool to teaching lit circles. I use a story each week to introduce a new job (6 weeks - 6 jobs). That way they build on to each job, with more and more practice, especially for the ones that are a little more difficult or require a little more thought. Then I go into a chapter book, such as the one you mentioned, and I require each student to do groups, each group does, a different job, and we have class discussions. From there I begin to do the lit circles in the manner that they are generally required to function. All this makes for a pretty smooth transition.

Cowgirl

I like
Old 07-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

the idea of using the basal to start! Are there certain chapter books that you move into?

dsujammun

Being a . . .
Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

6th Grade teacher, I tend to use a challenging book first, like The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, as a class, that way when they are in their own books, they are trained to look for their specific jobs.

relax248

Starting Lit Circles (sorry it's so long)
Old 07-20-2008, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I start my Literature Circles, I use picture books. I model each job using read-alouds and we all practice the job together. Then students try them on their own. My sixth graders really need to see each job modeled. Using picture books allows us to practice each job while working with a short text. The students are working in groups of 6 - each group has a different book. We rotate the books to give students time to practice each role.

Teaching each job to the students is the easy part. Once they are on their own in the groups things get tricky. They need to understand how to work together and conduct a discussion. I model this in a fishbowl format. I select students (ahead of time - so they can complete job) to join me in the middle of the room to form a literature cirlce - the rest of the class sits in desks around us and watch. I take the role of discussion director and lead the literature circle. Students need to understand that they should not just go around the circle saying this is what I did as "Super Summarizer." My connection is... etc. Students need to listen to each other and respond to what each other is saying. I make sure that students understand that my job as Discussion Director is to lead the discussion - not to just read off my questions one after the next waiting for an anwser.

It sounds like with chapter books you are using the same book for all of your students. I have not tried that - in my class each group has a different book. Do you find using the same chapter book with all of the students effective? How do you address the different reading levels in your class?

When I use literature circles in my class I do have a schedule. Each group member is assigned a number. I post students names under their number. Each time we rotate jobs, the number that corresponds with the job rotates. For example, # 1s start as Discussion Director, the next time the #1s job is Super Summarizer etc. (I have a sample rotation schedule in a Word document that I could e-mail - I can't attach yet).

Carolynn

Old 07-22-2008, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use picture books too. The whole class does the same role then the next day we new a new role, the next day a new role,etc. I only introduce 4 roles at first. We meet after doing each role so they get practice meeting and we can discuss the purpose of meeting and how to share each role. Then we do all 4 roles with a picture book and meet. Then we do the same novel (a short one) and each group sets there own number of pages to read and we really focus on the process. I introduce the last two roles right at the start of this novel with everyone practicing them. Then we are off and running with three different novels and everyone having a different role.

cptjway

Please email me
Old 07-24-2008, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

a copy of your rotation schedule. I found your post very helpful and would like to see your schedule. Thank you!

relax248

Rotation Schedule
Old 07-27-2008, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can attach now! Yeah!! Here is an example of a rotation schedule that I would use. I think it is self-explanatory - if not let me know. I hope it is helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Lit Circle Rotation.doc (34.5 KB, 632 views)

gopher4

Thanks for the file...
Old 07-27-2008, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Are you self contained? I have 3 classes and probably wouldn't be able to post a pocket chart for each class, so mine would need to be more general with just numbers and jobs. The students can put their number on the Book Club folders and I can keep a separate sheet for each group. I would have 12 -14 different groups.

lconn

Old 11-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hello. I would love to hear what picture books you use with your 6th graders. I am starting literature circles and need a huge variety of books to use. Also, could you send me a copy of the schedule that you used. I really like that idea and it seems easier to organize the kids that way ( I have 130 kids on my team).
Thanks so much for the info.