Intermediate Grades (3-5)

topic sentences

>

Closed Thread

gec512

topic sentences
Old 11-25-2006, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really struggle with teaching topic sentences. Many of my students are low achievers or English Learners so I need to provide frames or cloze activities for them. Any basic frame ideas would be appreciated.

ismile

topic sentence activity
Old 11-26-2006, 11:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach third grade, but I would think this activity would work as long as the content was grade appropriate. I write a good paragraph on small sentence strips...or you could cut apart sentences from a word document with a good paragraph. Mix the sentences up in an envelope. Students have to put the sentences in the correct order. Then, have the students try to create a good paragraph that can be cut apart and given to another student to put back in order. If there is not a clear topic sentence, they will know they need to clearer in stating the main idea.

Hope this helps!

imalith

sentence strips
Old 11-27-2006, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you ever used sentence strips? I buy these at Walmart or Office Depot. At the beginning of the year when students are writing from the same prompt, we all write our best topic sentences on the strips and we read through and evaluate each. I post the good ones on the board and students can pick one or write their own.

I'm starting another lesson tomorrow by having students choose their own topic and write several topic sentences based on models I will share. I will then have them share with a partner their possible topic sentences. They will then pick out their best and begin their essays.

Leah E

Old 11-27-2006, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught a topic sentence lesson a couple weeks ago with a powerpoint presentation I made, but it can also be done with a powerpoint. I had sample paragraphs, with the first sentence missing. Read read through the paragraphs and tried to come up with a main idea for our topic sentence. I had the students rate each other's topic sentences. Then we came up with criteria for topic sentences (at least 8 words, states the main idea, etc.). I gave them a paragraph with the topic sentence missing for their assessment and they had to write topic sentences independtly. They seemed to understand the concept pretty well.