Intermediate Grades (3-5)

new novels for 5th grade

>

teresa

teresa

new novels for 5th grade
Old 11-28-2005, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can anyone recommend soem new novels that they are using in their class? I would love a good mystery! Any genre is good. I really haven't been reading any new ones.

SC

Novel recommendation
Old 11-28-2005, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year my students read The Westing Game. It's probably appropriate for younger kids, but you can do a lot with this book with a 5th grade class. It's a fun mystery.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Chantal

Chantal

Old 11-29-2005, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try "The Watsons Go to Birmingham"! My class loves it and they are kids with reading levels from 3rd - 7th grade. We read some of it aloud and some independently but they love the characters and the way the book makes them feel. I have used it for 3 years and only about 4 kids (in total) have not enjoyed it

SusanTeach

Westing Game
Old 11-29-2005, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with both posters, but for a mystery The Westing Game is wonderful! I read that with my 5th graders and they loved it! They drew pictures of the characters as each one was introduced - then they kept notes trying to keep up with what was going on (we called them their "detective notes". Definitely a high interest book - and wonderful thinking skills. I LOVED the ending!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
SAmom

SAmom

reading teacher
Old 11-30-2005, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just finished CHASING VERMEER with a group of 5th graders. They loved it and were always asking if they could read more than what was assigned. I gave them all little notebooks to keep as detective books where they could keep notes on when they were trying to piece the mystery together. We, also, posted charts up around the room with facts that would help us solve the crime.

janet

janet

Old 12-13-2005, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just finished reading Peppermints in the Parlour by Barbara Brooks Wallace and the kids absolutely loved it. There are several other myssteries that she has written and the kids are already eager to read her other books.
Tracey

Tracey

Old 12-22-2005, 01:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just read 'Dragon Keeper' by Carol Williamson and loved it!!! Can't wait to read it to my class after the summer holidays. It kept me spellbound. I couldn't even cook dinner without trying to read it. There's also a follow on novel... can't wait to read that one.

2sankofa

5th Grade Novels
Old 01-06-2006, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My gifted students loved Fever, 1793 (Historical Fiction), I Am Regina (Historical Fiction), Chasing Vermeer (mystery), and Hoot (mystery)
2sankofa is offline   Reply With Quote

LBaskow

Reading
Old 02-19-2006, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Last year I introduced the American Chillers books to my 4th grade students and they LOVED them!!! They are written by Jonathon Rand. They are great because each book takes place in one of the United States and the places in the story are real cities and places in that state. For example, Michigan Mega Monsters takes place in Michigan in places that are located in Michigan.

Another great feature is that the chapters are short so that if a student only has a few minutes he/she can read them quickly. I used them as read alouds so if we had a few minutes before lunch or another time we could get a chapter finished quickly.

Also, the chapters leave you hanging as to what is going to happen next. It was a great feeling to have the students beg for more reading.

Our librarian ordered them for the library and they are always out.

If these books don't work for what you are looking for, they will definately get you students to what to read.
LBaskow is offline   Reply With Quote

tillmadd

novels for fifth
Old 02-19-2006, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have read the following titles as a fifth grade teacher and the kids have loved it ...although i have found if the kids have their own copy to follow along in its more beneficial...so i buy 36 of each:
Bud Not Buddy
Watsons Go To Birmingham
Esperanza Rising
Walk Two Moons
Lion, Witch, & The Wardrobe
Nory Ryan
Things Not Seen
Night John
Hatchet
Sounder

tillmadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Haley966

Haley966

Reading the Giver before middle school
Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

So I get so infuriated when I hear of teachers reading The Giver to their class before middle school. It is the greatest contradiction. Teachers allow students,encourage even, to read this book, but then god forbid they know about abortion in todays society! Because I mean, that would traumatize the poor babies! Teachers, If your going to read the giver, be sure and do it at the age level when abortion can be brought up in an emotionally safe, not judgmental or biased way!
Tegen

Tegen

Teacher
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I read The Giver, Number the Stars, The Cay and The Westing Game with my class so far. I have loved all of them! The Giver was the best one out of them all!
TX5Diva

TX5Diva

Texas Historical Fiction
Old 05-14-2010, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have been using Silverbrook (by Karen Petersen) for the last three years in my fifth grade classes. It's a fabulous and accurate historical fiction book about a 14-year-old German boy whose family immigrates to Texas. It even has ten questions for each chapter with answers listed on pages that I actually tear out of student books. Better yet, there are 20 Questions at end for "Better Understanding"- they also have answers!
th3rdSurfer

th3rdSurfer

Fifth Grade Teacher
Old 08-11-2010, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli. The kids absolutely loved this story.

madmarie

5th Grade Novels
Old 07-20-2011, 11:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

These are some titles that 5th graders seem to enjoy...

Tuck Everlasting
Shades of Gray
The Penderwicks
Where the Red Fern Grows
The Devil's Arithmetic
Hatchet
The Willoughbys
The Sign of the Beaver
The Hunger Games
The Lightning Thief (series)
madmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
MEAS

MEAS

Librarian
Old 01-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hunger Games is better saved until Middle School!