Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Word Wall?

>

AZTeacher07

Word Wall?
Old 07-03-2007, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There's a good discussion going on it K-3 about word walls. I'm going to teach 4th grade in the fall and I don't really see a use of a word wall. If the words are on the wall will they actually memorize them? What are your feelings? Should a have a wall or not? and should if so should I put up all the words at once or give a poor student the job of putting new words up

AZTeacher07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bear

Word wall
Old 07-03-2007, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am required to have a word wall and I teach 5th grade. Last year was the first year it was required and I made it my student's board. When students heard or saw a word that they did not recognize they would put it on our board, in their own handwriting (I covered a bulletin board with butcher paper, it was not the neatest board, but it belonged to the students--they would actually remind me that it was their job to put up the words if I started to do it). This worked very well. Because I teach all subject matter the board was not subject specific; however, as the year progressed and more words were added my students would point them out when we encountered them again, in any subject area. They also seemed to remember what the words meant. As far as assigned voc. or spelling words go, the students choose certain words for us to include. I dreaded doing this at first, but it turned out to be beneficial.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote

dolmansaxlil

word walls
Old 07-03-2007, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I put up a word wall in my grade 7/8 classroom! There are many uses for them. First of all, I use them for the "no excuse" words - that is, the words that are difficult to spell but that they use a lot (homonyms are particularly high on that list). They are on the wall, with "hints" as to which word to use where. My theory on it is that they'll only learn to use the correct term if they practice it correctly - and many of them need that extra reminder. I also use it for my "Nifty Thrifty Fifty" from Month by Month Phonics for the Upper Grades.

I also use it for words in the content areas. So I'll have math, geography and history terms up on my wall as well. I colour code the words by subject - so the frequently misspelled words are on one colour, nifty thrifty 50 on one, geo terms on one, history terms on one, etc.

For the content areas, I put short definitions beside the word on the card, so if a kid can't remember what the term means, or which term to use, they go up to the wall and use the definition.

For next year, I'm considering making my Word Wall a little more interactive, in that it'll be stuck up with velcro so the kids can take down the words to check stuff on the back or, for some of my special ed kids who have difficulty transferring words to paper, taking them to their seat. If I do that, then I'll put the definitions on the backs of the cards.

I play a lot of word wall games with my kids too. Their favourite is Be a Mind Reader. Basically, they're given clues and with each new clue they write down a new word (if anyone wants the full instructions, I'll post them). They LOVE this game, and it's a great way to fill those 5 minute dead spots.

Our Ministry set up shop in a school in our board for the past three years - and one of the things that they require in all rooms - K-12 - is a word wall.
dolmansaxlil is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleymarie81

Million Dollar Words
Old 07-03-2007, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach 5th grade and use my million dollar word wall to help students when writing. Click on the link below to see a pic.

http://ashleyhogue.com/classroompics.htm
ashleymarie81 is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

ashley
Old 07-03-2007, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the million dollar words! I teach first but I can use a lower level version for our writer's workshop. Thanks.

liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

word wall
Old 07-03-2007, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I taught 4th, I used a word wall but I used it differently than I do with 3rd grade. The emphasis in that grade was on writing, so I had "transition words" on my word wall. I didn't want them using the words "First, Next, and Last" for their transition words. That area had words like "To Begin with, After that, Finally, ..."). I also had another area with "Wow" words so they could replace overused words (like "said") with better words (like "shouted, mumbled, stated,....").

I put them up at the beginning of the year, and they stayed up all year. I don't like to add to the board throughout the year because I never tend to keep up with it!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariely

Word Walls
Old 07-03-2007, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I actually posted a reply to the K-3 Word Wall discussion. To put it simply, in my district doing a Word Wall is a non-negotiable part of instruction. All of the elementary school teachers need to have a word wall and make sure students are interacting with it on a daily basis. Students interact with the Word Wall through simple and short daily activities. I'm attaching two documents that give more information on word walls. You can view them and learn more about word walls.

I will also be teaching fourth grade in the fall. I plan on doing and using a word wall. I organize my word wall by Parts of Speech. The words I include in my word wall are usually Tier-2 words (as described by Beck & McKeown in Bringing Words to Life). If I happen to have Limited English Proficient (LEP) students in my class, I will also need to make sure I include some high-frequency words as needed. I hope this information helps. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to post them. Take care!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Doing a Word Wall vs Having a Word Wall.doc (29.5 KB, 1097 views)
File Type: doc Using Word Walls.doc (40.0 KB, 982 views)
Mariely is offline   Reply With Quote

avidreader

Helpful post
Old 07-18-2007, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks so much for the helpful ideas! Also, if you could, I would love to have the full instructions for the word wall game - Be a Mind Reader.
avidreader is offline   Reply With Quote
hutch_leelee

hutch_leelee

5th grade language art/reading teacher
Old 07-20-2007, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi, I use a word wall with my 5th grade students. I'm including the parts of speech, literary words, the million dollar word list, and also words that are hard for 5th graders to understand on standardized tests (ex--describe, analize, compare, ect.). Hope this helps.

Teacher807

Old 07-22-2007, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Ashley, what did you use to make your word wall? I planned on making a word wall with Million Dollar words as well and when I saw yours it was exactly how I envisioned mine. I am using neon colors like that in my room so it will coordinate well. What type of paper did you use and where did you get it? I haven't been able to find all those colors. I have only found the yellow, green, and orange colored paper. Also, how big is each word. It is hard to tell in the pic. Thanks in advance!

Teacher807 is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleymarie81

word wall
Old 07-22-2007, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm pretty sure that I used the flashcards from the teacher store that were the size of index cards. For the white words, I just printed those on copy paper using the landscape view and cut them down to size. I will be back in my classroom again on Tuesday and I'll look at them again.

I'll try to remember to take another pic of the words. I've got them displayed a little differently since that pic was taken on my website. The way I have them now saves a lot more wall space than the way I have them on the website.

I'll get back with you!
Ashley
ashleymarie81 is offline   Reply With Quote

snoozeqz

word walls
Old 01-19-2009, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hi,

What are the "thrifty,fifty,nifty"?

I am also interested to know how the game "be a mind reader "is played.

Thanks,

Sue
snoozeqz is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have a word wall in my 7th grade classroom. I use it for teaching terms for each unit. They're all on flower cutouts, and I group them by unit . . . and the current unit is always in the middle. Sometimes words move units.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Dayna

Dayna

7th grade LA teacher
Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'd love the instructions to Be a Mind Reader.
Thanks!
Jan Clark

Jan Clark

New Teacher
Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Please post your full instructions for Be a Mind Reader.
Thanks!

Risa

I use word walls in 4th grade
Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Mariely, thanks for your pages about word walls. According to your first page I just realized I HAVE two word walls and I USED (DO) two word walls last year.

The two word walls that I 'HAVE' are:
(1) Most Frequently Misspelled Words' are posted up high across the back of my room above my regular bulletin boards. Since I have English Learners in my classroom, they frequently refer to those words if they need to edit misspelled words
(2) Basic reading vocabulary words that change with each story that we read are posted on my 'reading focus wall'.

The two word walls that we 'USE'(DO) by building them (adding to them) throughout the school year:
(1) Academic Vocabulary-We have a word of the day that I introduce each day and we keep track of how many times we use the words throughout the day.
(2) Greek/Latin Root words (including prefixes and suffixes) I based it on Mrs. Renz's lists but I also included roots that came up in our reading activities.
The word wall was based on an idea I found by Angela Bunyi, Inside Angela's 4th Grade Classroom-Vocabulary Strategies that Help (Vocabulary Strategy: Word Study Word Wall) My students kept the root words and lists noted in their 'Vocabulary Building' notebooks. For the interactive word wall, students used index cards to write the root with an illustration, as was suggested, but they also kept adding to the roots word lists on strips of paper, when they found words in their classwork or in their independent home reading. (The index card with the root was the heading for each list.)

We constantly referred to each of these word lists, but I found that students were most interactive with the Academic vocabulary lists and the Greek/Latin word lists.

Last edited by Risa; 07-20-2010 at 03:52 PM..
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariely

Risa
Old 07-20-2010, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You are most welcome! It's always great to be able to share with other teachers. Thanks for sharing how you use and do word walls in your classrooms along with the resources you listed. Sounds like you have a very interactive classroom.

Mariely

Be a Mind Reader
Old 07-20-2010, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

In the document above, "Using Word Walls", word wall activity #1 is just like the mind reader activity that dolmansaxlil mentioned in her post. Here are the directions if you are interested:

(Students need paper or dry-erase boards.)
  • Pretend that youíre a word detective.
  • Number your paper from 1 to 5. (Number 1-5 on large dry-erase board.)
  • Iím thinking of a word on the Word Wall. Try to guess the Word Wall word that Iím thinking.
  • Iíll give you one clue at a time.
  • Listen to each clue and, on your paper, write the Word Wall word you believe Iím thinking about.
  • Donít shout out any words. Be a good detective! Hereís the first clue.

Clue #1. Itís on the Word Wall. Beside #1 on your paper, write the Word Wall word that you believe is the word Iím thinking. Everyone should make a guess and write a word each time I give a clue.

Clue #2. It ends with the letter e.
Write the Word Wall word next to #2. (Draw a line and write the letter e beside numbers 2, 3, 4, and 5.)
If you think it is the word you guess for clue #1, write the same word again.

Clue #3. It has the letter a in it. (Write the letter a in front of numbers 3, 4, and 5.)
Write a word by #3. Remember to write the same word again, if you believe you have figured it out.

Clue #4. It has 7 letters. (Erase the line in places to make 7 blanks with e in the last blank.)

Clue #5. It fits in the sentence: I wear a coat _________ it is cold. (Write the sentence on the board under #5.)

Raise your hand if you think you know the word. _________, tell us the Word Wall word you discovered.

Answer:(because) Repeat after me. (Read and spell the word. Students echo.)

celticsfan

Word Wall
Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Hi I teach 4th grade writing. I love your idea of the Million Dollar word wall.. I tried to open up your picture of it..but it failed. Is there anyway you could post it again or a link?
Thanks for any help..
celticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach3abc

Thank you!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I am a reading coach and a few new teachers are having a hard time with creating a word wall and using it. I Google'd interactive word walls and your post came up. Thanks!
Teach3abc is offline   Reply With Quote