Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Morning Bell Work HELP!!!! (6th grade)

>

lmort002

Morning Bell Work HELP!!!! (6th grade)
Old 12-19-2007, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I found out that having the students work on a worksheet for their daily warm ups is easier then having them work it out...but I am trying to save paper. I hate wasting paper. But I find that, even though every warm up is collected, half the class does not turn it in.

Does anyone have any suggestions for engaging warm ups?

lmort002 is offline   Reply With Quote

AZTeacher07

Old 12-19-2007, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To save paper I write mine on the board or put it on the overhead. I collect them all each Friday and they are to write the answers on the same page all week. When their time is up I go around and stamp the papers that are done (even if the answers are wrong) then we go over the answers. The ones that have the correct answers and a stamp get full points. I know I didn't really suggest and engaging warm up, but my class loves to get stamps or stickers on their paper. Plus I've been known to make them stay in from recess to do it if they skip them.

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you.
AZTeacher07 is offline   Reply With Quote

imalith

warm up
Old 12-20-2007, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

After reading your post, I wasn't sure if your students were losing the work though the week, or just not doing the work. Some kids are very disorganized and others would much prefer bad grades rather than to have to do work.

It is difficult to find engaging worksheets or board work, especially if you are targeting skillwork. I agree with the previous poster, that stamps, stickers or some type of award for finishing would be good. I will warn you however, that kids get smart and will simply write in numbers that do not make sense just to appear finished. At some point, keeping track and correcting is required.
imalith is offline   Reply With Quote
PattiB

PattiB

This has worked for me...
Old 01-02-2008, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I print out a page per week/per student, divided into 5 sections. I put the warm-up on the board and they record it on their sheet. We go over the problem and they correct it if needed and then place it in their seat work folder (I have these in hanging files in an old milk crate) and I check it at the end of the week.

This way I am only printing 1 sheet per studetn per week.
mt

mt

journaling
Old 01-05-2008, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My kids choose every day from two journal prompts on the board, and they must write a complete and well-developed paragraph at the start of every one of my language arts classes. These journals are graded (quickly) every three weeks and are worth a HUGE number of points. Kids quickly discover that they're sunk if they don't journal. It's never a problem after the first couple of weeks or so (because I communicate with parents right away and say you know, your child comes in every day and messes around instead of journaling. This grade is the result. It changes).

Journal prompts can't be gotten wrong. It's stuff like "Is your room clean or messy? Why do you keep it as you do?" or "Why is it important to be honest?" It's a great way to get to know your kids, it lets you see who needs which lessons pertaining to writing, it gets them ready for THE TEST (by March, they can lay down a paragraph while holding their breath and balancing dinner plates on sticks :-)) and it engages them in authentic writing tasks daily. It also makes for a very quiet first seven or eight minutes of class. Ahh--think I'll check email really fast.

Worksheets and such are easy to fudge and fake. If the warm-up is an integral part of their grade, though, it not only is a more valuable activity for them, but they'll do it more readily. In fact, I guess it's a matter of it's not a warm up, but is instead an actual part of instruction, and in this way, we truly get down to business the second the bell rings.

lmort002

Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just started having the students use one sheet per week for the warm-up...so much easier. Because I teach math, this is how I check their progress daily. And it seems to work. I check it each night and give it back to them the next day.
lmort002 is offline   Reply With Quote
mr_arkadin

mr_arkadin

4th grade ELA teacher
Old 01-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a morning warm-up called Directions. They're half-sheets, so 2 can fit on one page. It's basically a set of instructions in paragraph form. I have a turn-in basket for them. Directions take about 10 minutes, and then, they're done. Some will finish early, and they get out a book and silent read for a few minutes. But they have to read the directions and follow them EXACTLY like they are written.

I take up five a week, 20 points each. If they get all 5, then, it's a 100. For a comprehension grade, I average 3 weeks together.

I started these because I was so tired of kids asking about directions on paper. I get waaaaay fewer "I don't get the directions" now.
SNW

SNW

This Should Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have the perfect idea since you said you teach math!!!!!!!!!Everyday on the board put a new word problem. The students we'll solve the problem on the board,and use the same paper over again for the rest of the week! This way the students can write on there own paper instead of yours!!!!!!!! Then have the students pass there papers up to you.check to see who did it and who did not. Then give the paper back the next day. The people who do not do it may have silent lunch!!!!
Teachers1

Teachers1

Bell Work
Old 08-31-2009, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

What you should do is you should use creative writing ideas like free write where they get to write like a Diary. They will write what they fill like writing but it has to be at least 1 paragraph. If they say it is personal all you have to do is make sure that they have the name, date, and title and make sure that it is at least 5 lines written on. Then when finished they can read there favorite book. If all that it is complete you give them an A for the Bell work in the Grade book and put a check and a star in the notebook or paper.
If a student is not done in those 10-15 mins they get an incomplete for bell work that day.
It makes it fun for the students and makes it easier for you.

Phyllis

I used a 'once a week' sheet . . .
Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

. . . called Little Lessons. It was printed on brightly colored paper and had 10 items for each day Mon-Thurs. They worked on it first thing and we checked (I wrote answers on the board and they corrected or fill in those not done). On Friday they had a 20 item test +two bonus questions over the week's work. This was graded that day by me and if they earned 90 or better, they got ice cream from the lunchroom just before the 1:30 break. This grade could be recorded for any subject.

Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote