Help

ESL/LEP

ACCESS Testing

>

RicanTchr

ACCESS Testing
Old 02-13-2013, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am teaching at a H.S. this year for the 1st time. We have yet to receive our testing materials. Hopefully by Friday we will get them. My question is this: Another ESL teacher wants to test all the components in one day. I was given several reasons for this which I did not think was quite convincing. I have never heard of such a thing. Is this legal?

RicanTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

eslsignedout

eslsignedout

Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The Administration booklet tells you how you should portion your testing. As I remember (haha I just finished Thursday, so obviously my brain is tired)...it is 75 minutes for Listening and Reading, 60 minutes for Writing, and I plan about 20 minutes for Speaking. It is three days of testing for each student. You can give every test EXCEPT for the Speaking in small groups, as long as those groups are in the same cluster (i.e. all students are taking Grade 3-5 Tier A). You should never try to do the whole thing in one day. You will exhaust your kiddos and not get very good or accurate results. When you add the time allowances together, it is 155 minutes. MORE than two and a half hours. Testing is hard and stressful, and kids can't even sit through a movie, let alone this long length of time. I say no, don't allow it. If the colleague argues the point consult your district ELL coordinator. If that doesn't help, contact the WiDA rep for your state (wida.us can tell you who that is) and ask for their recommendation. Good luck.

RicanTchr

Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your response. I have tested elementary level for many years and know what it is like. I think I just wanted reassurance. I will check with our coordinator to make sure because I do not want to test the way he is planning it and I will advocate for the students.
RicanTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Cow Pie

Keep it short and sweet
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Eslsigned out has it right on. The test can really wear out some of our students.

I if you have multiple groups you could test listening and reading for two groups in one day, one in the morning the other after lunch. Then the writing the next day. I had three different levels plus a special education accommodations group. Keeping this schedule helped me and the students.

I scheduled 15 minutes for the speaking part but ended up taking 20 minutes for each student, which caught me by surprise as my students usually finish closer to 12 minutes.

I was testing the 6-8 grade cluster.
Cow Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

CAtchr

Access
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

According to the testing manuals it states that there is some leeway in how the test is administered ( I was testing in strand 3-5) but that you cannot give all the components of the test in one session. My school has a ton of ELL students so we had a lot of numbers to get through and also had to schedule time for make up testing for students who were out sick or didn't show for certain parts of test and I know that minimum you had to have writing spate from reading and listening.

CAtchr is offline   Reply With Quote