Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Differentiation for advanced 4K student

>

Luv4K

Luv4K

Differentiation for advanced 4K student
Old 09-02-2018, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to differentiate language arts in my 4K program for an advanced student (whom I'll refer to as "Nancy"). I have not yet met Nancy, but I have been informed that she is already reading at a kindergarten or first grade level. At three years old, Nancy was in the 4K program last year (with a different teacher) and is required to repeat 4K this year since her parents want to take advantage of the new voucher program (they can only get the voucher if she is placed in the grade that corresponds to her age). The parents have made it clear that they do not want her to sit through another year of learning the letters, which is the majority of the language arts program at my school. Here is my question: what are some ways in which I can differentiate my letter instruction for her so that she is challenged during letter instruction? I thought that she could use invented spellings to write words that begin with the letter of the week, or circle the letter wherever it appears in a poem that highlights the letter. What are some other simple modifications I could do that would not interfere with the education of the rest of my students? Thanks so much!

playpower

student
Old 09-08-2018, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My first thought was maybe you should wait until you meet Nancy, find out what interests her? Who informed you of her reading level, are they qualified to evaluate? Even if she is "advanced" she is still four years old and needs to still develop skills through playful experiences.

I understand you want to challenge her, though!

Maybe while the other children are playing with play dough (for example) you could provide Nancy with sight word cards and encourage her to form the letters out of dough.

Provide her with her own white board and markers to do some writing.

The website "The Measured Mom" is also a wonderful resource!

Good luck!
playpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Luv4K

Luv4K

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2018, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks so much for your ideas!