Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Super Anxiety

>

jteachnyc2016

Super Anxiety
Old 11-30-2018, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey all,
So Ive been teaching 3 year olds this year. This isnt my first time teaching this age group but its been a while since Ive thought them and Id like some advice.
I'm very anxious lately about teaching these kids because some of them just turned 3 and about their safety. The set up of the program is still very new, not a lot of things put in place, and many things that I could complain about but im anxious every week. I love the kids but I take home the burden daily/weekly of their safety. Any tips on how to handle anxiety while teaching? especially this age group? Not feeling the best... any advice would be appreciated.

jteachnyc2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

playpower

anxious
Old 12-01-2018, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. Just know you aren't alone and with some little tricks you can get through your day, one minute/one hour at a time.

I gather from your post that a majority of your anxiety stems from maintaining safety in the classroom. Red stop signs are your friend. Most three year old children can instantly recognize the sign and what it means. Post signs on doors and/or areas that are clearly off-limits. Talk about it before you put the signs up. Model what it means by playing a version of red light, green light.

Make your expectations very clear and concise. Put them on a poster with visuals. Be sure to list what you want to see: "walking feet" rather than "don't run." Read the poster everyday at each gathering time.

Have consequences. If children are not be safe, call them on it. Take away whatever they are misusing and try again at a different time.

Lastly, this age group needs to move. Turn on some great children's music and dance with the kids. Those endorphins will keep your anxiety at bay and provide a great bonding experience between you and them. Good luck!
playpower is online now   Reply With Quote

jteachnyc2016

Old 12-01-2018, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

@ playpower thanks so much for understanding. My anxiety stems from both the classroom and outside. In the classroom the kids at times may play rough or scratch themselves by accident, minor things and I have had parents not be happy about it. I guess for me im more anxious about them getting hurt and me having to explain, deal with the parents being upset about it. I also know that little ones can be clumsy and may fall here or there but nothing serious. I feel like ive become the babysitter instead of the educator. Every thing I have to tell the parents about or I feel like im "in trouble". I get that parents are concerned about their babies, and their safety is my priority. In contrast I can not enjoy it because the anxiety doesn't seem to be worth it. Also the outside areas where children are allowed to play is not very safe at all. I feel like im walking on eggshells. I love your suggestions as I have used them and currently use them in class.
jteachnyc2016 is offline   Reply With Quote