Substitute Teachers

Discipline

>

rinchen

Discipline
Old 09-06-2009, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I'm wondering how much to discipline and how much to let go when subbing. Particularly in Kindergarten, kids seem excitable and are new to school let alone a substitute. What kind of consequences would you give for calling out, if any???

rinchen is offline   Reply With Quote

lv2read

Kindergarteners are new to school therefore
Old 09-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

some leniency is necessary. Simply show and remind the youngsters how to raise their hands, line up and sit quietly on the rug. Remind them when they "forget" and practice the procedure. They do have a limited attention span, therefore, keep the activities changing every 15 minutes.

Best of luck w/kinder.
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

rinchen

Discipline
Old 09-06-2009, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks!!!

I taught Kindergarten for one year, and long-term subbed in K the next. This is my third year out of teaching school. I've been subbing in a district with mostly EL kids. It seems like on my first day in my rush to get through the lesson plans, I didn't leave ample time to go over procedures. I will sub for this same class again and want to make sure I'm being firm and kind. i've been told that I am too "nice" in the past. It seems my expectations for subbing should be different then when it is my class.

Can anyone share their behavior procedure when actually teaching K. What positive reinforcement they use as well as consequences?
rinchen is offline   Reply With Quote

mslodi

With the little ones
Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Everyone has their own system. I go over the rules that the teacher has for the class and ask for examples of each one. Automatically, the kids will tell you which students break which rule. If there is no time out chair, I create one. With the kinders, I make faces, one happy and one sad on the board. I write all the kids names on the happy side. If they misbehave I give them a warning (circle their name), if it happens again I move their name to the sad face, if it happens again they go on time out (1-2 min). When time is up I move their name back to the happy face and start over. Also let them know you are leaving the names and faces for the teacher to see.
mslodi is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachwLove

Happy face on board is me...
Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I write my name and "Guest Teacher" on the board and ask the students how they treat a guest (usually they know). I draw the happy face next to my name and say that I am feeling so happy to be a guest at their school. If they misbehave I start to change the smile until (if necessary), it becomes a frown. It's amazing how the students watch the face, try to please me, and ask me if I'm feeling happier yet!

TeachwLove is offline   Reply With Quote

mslodi

Old 09-08-2009, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi TeachwLove, that is a great idea! I am sure it works wonders with the kids. I will try it next time I am in a kinder class! Thanks
mslodi is offline   Reply With Quote

lovereading86

Love that idea!!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

TeachwLove's... Wow what an awesome idea!! I will have to keep that in mind next time I sub in elementary!!
lovereading86 is offline   Reply With Quote