Help

Retired Teachers

Volunteering

>

broad

Volunteering
Old 01-13-2016, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I decided to sign up to be volunteer at my grandson's school as a reading buddy. (I already volunteer at my old school in 1st Grade and love it because I help this one teacher who is so grateful for anything I do. I also love testing the kids on their sight words, etc.) Anyway, they assigned me a 5th Grader for every Thursday from 8:35 to 9:05. This student has trouble reading and focusing. He is low in fluency and comprehension. He hates reading and it's like pulling teeth working with him. After several sessions since the beginning of the school year and dreading Thursdays plus giving up my whole day as a commitment for just that half an hour, I made the decision to QUIT. I talked it over with my husband and he was very supportive.

I just sent the requisite emails and feel so relieved. I can now spend the time at my old school doing what I enjoy and am free to sub on that day if requested. However, I feel sad and guilty that I gave up on this student. I hope they find someone else. Just venting and wondering what you all think?

broad is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

your relief
Old 01-13-2016, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

says it all. You retired to experience the joys in life and this is obviously not joyful for you or the student.

As teachers, we tend to take success for granted and see less than success as our responsibility. We attribute progress to the child's work and lack of progress to ourselves.
It is sad that this child did not allow himself to gain from an opportunity.

Being miserable for 30 minutes will be replaced by doing things you like. Sounds like a reasonable trade to me.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-13-2016, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Its always hard to do something like that when you feel as though you are letting someone down, but the fact that you said you felt relieved is an indication you made the right decision! Good for you!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

edfan

I'm in awe
Old 01-14-2016, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You took on that 5th grader in addition to the generous work you're doing at your old school! You can't save them all, unfortunately. You're doing more than I am and I admire and thank you for it.
edfan is offline   Reply With Quote

joyfulcalm

Old 01-14-2016, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In our careers, we had to be (or at least try to be) everything for everyone. Now, we are free to make more choices. Good for you for making the right choice for you. Sometimes, it's hard for us to admit we cannot save every child. You tried several sessions with him. You did all you could do. Maybe at some future point in time, perhaps with some other teacher/tutor, this student will be ready to learn. But trust yourself that you knew this was not working for either one of you. And I'm so glad you've already been volunteering in a way that gives you joy--and I'm sure your help is greatly appreciated!

joyfulcalm is offline   Reply With Quote

broad

Thank you everyone!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you all for your kind comments. I received an email from the teacher in response to my quit notice. She was very understanding and thanked me for the time I did spend.

I was so relieved Thursday morning not to have to go there and instead went to my old school and volunteered. I am feeling so rewarded when testing lst graders on their sight words. They love my attention and I am seeing their progress and enthusiasm to finish each list. I'm now thinking of ways to improve their reading by finding their interests and getting them books to keep and take home. As an avid Thrift store addict, I know I'll find the books easily and cheaply.

PLUS the teacher in whose classroom I volunteer calls me her angel and personal assistant. It used to be my classroom so I know exactly what she needs and where it is. It feels good to be enjoying my volunteer time.
broad is offline   Reply With Quote