Help

Career Decisions

Ex-Teachers: Teaching License Question

>

BritishPanda

Ex-Teachers: Teaching License Question
Old 12-03-2015, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After you left teaching, did you keep your teaching license? Or did you just let the license expire and never renew it?

Right now I'm making a career change out of teaching and I'm not sure once I get another job if I should renew my teaching license. Right now I have a 4 year Ohio Resident Educator License. I got my license in 2010 with a 2-year provisional license and have renewed it twice since then. My resident educator license doesn't expire until 2018, but I am not sure if I should keep renewing it if I am not going to use it. However I feel obligated to keep renewing it since I was in college for 6 years just get my license and it would seem like a waste to just let it expire.

BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

teaching liscense
Old 12-03-2015, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my state, all the state wants is the renewal fee. I just pay them even though I no longer teach. As a school psych, I like having a gen ed credential because it makes me more marketable. If I left education and I had to do a ton of documented professional development hours, I'd probably let it go as long as I loved my new job.
eeza is online now   Reply With Quote

SPEDinMA

Old 01-01-2016, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am most likely leaving teaching (after 10 years) this year, and my license expires in July. I am definitely going to renew it, just in case.
SPEDinMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tommytwo

Old 03-14-2016, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have always been told by long time experienced teachers once you obtain your license keep it. It can sometimes be harder to get it back then to renew it.
Tommytwo is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 03-14-2016, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It really varies from state to state. I kept my OR license for a few years after I moved because it was so difficult to get. In Vermont, you can renew an expired license for an extra $40 above the licensing fee, but you have to go directly through the State's Dept of Education Licensing office. There also might be additional hoops to jump through that weren't in effect with your original license.
I'd be inclined to hold onto it for a few years just incase.

vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote