Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Printer Suggestions

>

daisy789

Printer Suggestions
Old 09-28-2019, 07:00 AM

I need to purchase a new printer. I currently have to purchase ink every few months and end up spending close to $400 a year in ink. Any suggestions on a cost efficient, wireless printer?

daisy789 is offline   Reply With Quote

PokerKat

Epson eco tank
Old 09-28-2019, 07:07 AM

I really donít need to say anything else but ....

I use one of these in my classroom and I have had this printer almost two years which is what they say is how much ink you get in the box and I still have half of my ink left. I do a lot of printing on my own printer because I like color and it is fantastic . It might be a little pricier than some of the HP printers but the amount you save in the ink more than pays for the cost of the machine .
PokerKat is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Get a printer
Old 09-28-2019, 07:12 AM

with refillable ink vats. Or get a laser printer.

We actually have three different printers, which are useful for different things.

I have a colored laser printer. If I buy the discount toner once a year (or less) it is much less than $400. More like $150

My husband has an inkjet with refillable cartridges. He likes to do photo quality printing from time to time. It's fairly new and we haven't had to add ink yet, but its much the cheapest way to own an inkjet machine.

I have a cheap black and white Brother laser which is my workhorse for things like worksheets, lesson plans, and other naturally black and white stuff. I spend about $50 a year for a new toner cartridge.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 09-28-2019, 09:39 AM

I really love my HP printer with the Instant Ink plan. It's $10 a month for 300 pages, and I never have to worry about running out of ink. When the ink is low more is automatically sent, no matter how much I use. Unused pages rollover to the next month.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

techteacher

Instaink
Old 09-28-2019, 10:37 AM

Get an HP that qualifies for this program. I got one for around $40 at Wal Mart. They automatically send you ink and you pay a monthly fee depending on how many pages you print. Use my code and get a free month. Mswcb

techteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Ditto the InstaInk recommendations
Old 09-28-2019, 11:26 AM

Our ink was costing us way too much! I bought a much cheaper HP printer/copier/fax machine than my old one and now have the InstaInk program. I've got the HP 2600 series printer and although it's cheap it's working great. It's also taking up less desk space than my old printer. It was a great decision.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 09-28-2019, 12:21 PM

I do a lot of color printing. I added the price of the printer and the amount of ink needed to do about 1year of copying. The Epson Eco printer was the winner by far. I got it in sale for about $250. It came with a starter supply of ink. Iíve had it about 7 months and Iíve used about 1/4 of the ink. I was paying 50-75 a month for cartridges for my HP. Iím very pleased with my printer and what Iíve saved.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 09-28-2019, 01:03 PM

It used to cost me $90 for ink with my old printer. I had to purchase it several times a year. Sometimes they didn't have my ink cartridges when I went to buy them. I ran out of ink back in May and didn't print anything all summer. In August I wanted to print some stuff I made for school. So I bit the bullet,
and bought an HP color printer for $119 and joined the InstaInk plan like previous poster. I got four months free. I have two more months to go. Then I will do the same plan as another P-300 pages/month for $10. So it is definitely saving me money.

The InstaInk is convenient. The printer lets them know when you need ink. They send the ink cartridges in plenty of time before you need to replace the cartridges. You aren't actually paying for the ink cartridges used. It is based on the number of sheets you print. They give you envelopes so you can recycle the old ink cartridges, too.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

daisy789

Thank you!
Old 09-28-2019, 02:56 PM

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I will take a look at the printers suggested.

Privateeyes, the refillable ink cartridges don't work on my printer for some reason. I can only use Lexmark cartridges and they don't make them anymore. But thank you!
daisy789 is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 09-29-2019, 03:48 AM

I found this ink on Amazon by a company called LD. (LD Remanufactured Ink Cartridge). It works perfectly in my printer and costs about a fourth of what the manufacturer's ink costs. My printer is an Epson, but LD makes ink for many different brands. I've been using LD ink for about three years and only had one cartridge that didn't work. I can't tell any difference in print quality and they even last longer than the expensive Epson cartridges.

forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 09-29-2019, 05:58 AM

Throughout the yrs, I've tried the main few brands we all see at the office supply stores. I finally bought a laser printer for the 1st time...a Canon ImageCLASS MF642Cdw because I was sick of changing out the ink every other week. This printer's toners lasted several months!

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...class-mf642cdw

Yes, the 4 ink toners are normally pricey, but I found a good-priced online retailer to order from all the time (at $36.25 each).
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 09-29-2019, 09:44 AM

I also love my HP instant ink printer. I choose a plan based on how much I print each month and ink auto arrives when I need it. I spend far less on ink with this plan than I did in the past.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote