Help

BusyBoard

preschool: need K teacher's advice

>

MissouriECSE

preschool: need K teacher's advice
Old 09-28-2019, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach in a public ECSE classroom. We have paying parents for our integrated peers. I have several of them who know their letters and sounds. To keep them learning where should I go next with them? I just do not want them board.
I was thinking color words?
Any K teachers could help me.

Thank you

MissouriECSE is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 09-28-2019, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My first instinct would be to go with some books that a) have lots of pictures and b) have mostly/all CVC words that they can use their letter sound knowledge + the pictures to decode. You may need to teach them some of the obscurely spelled sight words (such as "the").

At this PreK/K age it's so important to keep learning fun, and keep up a love of reading, but kids often LOVE to see that they've actually read a "real book."
This is only my 2nd year in K, so others might have more/better advice, but that's what my instinct would be.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Missouri
Old 09-28-2019, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Could you clarify “We have paying parents for our integrated peers.”

Parents are your aides?

For the children who know letters and sounds, let them develop at their own pace. Give them easy to decode, word pattern books.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 09-28-2019, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Focus on phonemic awareness. Can they hear and produce rhyme? Segment syllables and phonemes? Blend them?
Once they have it, move on to CVC words, sight words, etc.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-28-2019, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Not a classroom teacher but I work with K and I agree with this:
Quote:
Focus on phonemic awareness. Can they hear and produce rhyme? Segment syllables and phonemes? Blend them?
Once they have it, move on to CVC words, sight words,
Our preschool doesn't do any PA skills at all and it's really hard for kids coming into K. I would also make sure that they really understand the difference between letter names and sounds and can do all of these in isolation out of order with fluency.

Not saying you're doing this, but our preschool will often say kids know their letter names and sounds, but really kids have just memorized a letter name/keyword/sound (i.e. "p, pan, /p/") but don't really understand what those things mean. If I show them a letter p and say what letter is this or what sound does it make, they continue to answer with p, pan, /p/ or p, /p/, not understanding the difference between the name and the sound. We are told other students "know all of the letters in their name," but not really, they only know them in that context. For example, when shown their name they can say H-a-l-e-y, but when shown just an "a" by itself, they have no idea what that is.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Keltikmom
Old 09-28-2019, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Could you clarify “We have paying parents for our integrated peers.”
I think it works like it does in my district. We have integrated preschools. The spec.ed kids are there on IEPs and make up half of each class. Then we have a lottery for regular ed kids to fill up the other half. The reg ed kids pay tuition and serve as language and behavior models for the spec.ed kids.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

MissouriECSE

integrated
Old 09-28-2019, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

yes, our typical peers pay for attending preschool and those with IEP's do not. I just want to make sure that those who are paying are getting something besides socialization at my site.

Thanks for any ideas
MissouriECSE is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 09-29-2019, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
ICrazyTeach's Message:

I agree with ICrazyTeach. Definitely focus on phonemic awareness/rhyme/syllables/phonemes. Make sure you have a print rich environment and read, read, read to all students.
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-01-2019, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Phonemic awareness is great, as is simple phonics. But, honestly, the most important thing you can do is work with them on social and emotional skills. Emotional regulation, communication, sharing, negotiating, speaking in complete sentences, asking questions, winning and losing graciously, those are the things K teachers want kids to be able to do coming in. Also building their fine motor skills and muscles.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote