Help

Substitute Teachers

Long Term Sub Position!

>

aly7123

Long Term Sub Position!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So the school I subbed at for most of last year called me today and asked if I wanted to teach sixth grade for the first six weeks or so of school because the teacher is having an operation! I'm so happy that I don't have to sit around waiting for weeks until I start getting called in! I'm a little nervous though because this is the first time I'll be starting the year off in a classroom...and I don't really know these kids too well because I was rarely put in fifth grade last year. Any suggestions?

aly7123 is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

well...
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

while I haven't done 6th grade much...the times I have done it I learned FAST that you have to be strict with them. 6th graders chat and also will do anything to get out of the room - it seems it is the age where teachers get more chummy w/ them and they just eat it up and feel they always need to go talk to so and so. Doesn't seem to matter if the 6th grade room is in a m.s. changing classes type school or in a single teacher type classroom. I think it is just that age.

so that is my only advice. make the rules CLEAR and consequences meaningful and STICK TO IT. Otherwise they can be a fun age. Enjoy!
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

nicpen

Old 08-11-2010, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No question, be firm and be consistent!

They're still at an age where they like to be rewarded. Have a clear list of rules, consequences, and rewards.

Are you able to contact the regular classroom teacher? Perhaps it would be a good idea to find out what his/her rules and expectations are and what is expected of you. It's good to have open communication, especially if you run into questions along the way that only the regular classroom teacher can answer.

Have fun! It will be a nice opportunity for you to start the year fresh with the class!
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Suggestions
Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You might want to check with the principal to be sure you have all the information for starting off the year. You'll probably need to set up the grade book/computer program, discuss the class rules (check with the teacher pre-surgery), meet parents at back to school/open house, etc. I'm guessing the regular teacher will consult with you on his/her starting school routines and duties. You may be included in the beginning of school meetings that cover routines and procedures.

Good luck and enjoy the new experience.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

CAMPswapalota

Good for you!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Is there anyway you can talk to the teacher? I would think (s)he would be even better than the principal at offering you what you need to know about managing her/his 6th grade class. Besides, showing that you're considering her/his wishes and making the transition back easier for the students and teacher will make you "the sub to call".

I know if I had to be away from my class the 1st 6 weeks of school, I would wish for my sub to prep my class for my return, my daily routine, class management style, etc.

Best of luck!

CAMPswapalota is offline   Reply With Quote