Help

Classroom Management

chatty first graders

>

dj1016

chatty first graders
Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone...I teach first grade and am a first year teacher. I have a pretty good group of kids...but they are really chatty! I also have a few students with behaviors but that's another story. Anyways, my kiddos constantly talk I use a clip chart, chimes, caught being good, and also positive paws which is my school's reward system for PBIS. I try to always point out good behaviors. I don't what else I can do to have my students be quiet. I know they will be chatty sometimes but I feel like it's a the time. I don't know if my expectations are too high or not. I'm just frustrated because some of teachers who teach art, gym, and music always tell me my class needs to work on quieting down and listening. This makes me feel like I'm not doing my job or that I should be doing more. Any feedback would be appreciated!

dj1016 is offline   Reply With Quote

shelmo77

something I need to do...
Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I should do this in my 1st grade class, so I'll go on and tell you to do it too - build their stamina. Start with seeing if they can stay quiet for 1 min. then slowly build up the time until they are staying quiet for longer and longer times. I also give mine "talk time" during centers and other activities, and as long as they are whispering they can talk. If they get above a whisper, they have to go to silence for 5 minutes.

It does take a while to build them up to longer periods of time, but I've done it before and it will work.
shelmo77 is offline   Reply With Quote

dj1016

Thanks...
Old 10-11-2012, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will most definitely give it a try!
dj1016 is offline   Reply With Quote