Help

Retired Teachers

The retirement bubble

>

amiga13

The retirement bubble
Old 10-09-2019, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím sorry for those of you struggling with retirementóthis post isnít for you.

I have now been retired over 3 years.

Due to unfortunate circumstances (DHís illness) the first 1.5 years of my retirement were pretty awful, but that time would have been even more awful had I been working.

For the last 1.5 years I have been positively gleeful. To those of you who dislike retirement, I think Iím safely past the ďyour bubble will burstĒ stage. My rose-colored lenses are clean and clear. I love retirement. I am happy and appreciative every single day. I am joyous and grateful every day.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 10-09-2019, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Amiga, I love reading about your joy in retirement and how grateful you are to be living this life. I am newly retired and had some apprehension about it (missing teaching/finances). However, am already beginning to feel that joy and appreciation too - especially when things come up like medical appointments, doing things for my elderly dad, having fun with friends, not rushing and being stressed about so many things to do.

I also appreciate having the time and leisure to take care of myself. I have lost 31 pounds since June and my blood sugar is now in normal range, and I am so much more relaxed.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, just wanted to say that I understand what you mean. I am happy for you and like reading about your joy in life and your accomplishments.
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Retirement
Old 10-09-2019, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been retired almost four years and am having the time of my life. I went through breast cancer surgery and treatments my first year, and that wasn't much fun. The past three years, however, have been great.

I had zero apprehension about leaving work. I've embraced this relaxed lifestyle. It is a glorious time of life.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

forkids2, YES! I love your message. We find the joy in retirement.

I have had similar experiences to yours:
*I lost 36 lbs (but it took me a lot longer than you)
*Iím rarely stressed because I have time
*Helping others is a pleasure now
*Learning how to manage $

Definitely not hijacking, forkids2, Iím thrilled to share your joy. Thank you!
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

More
Old 10-09-2019, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Count me in as another who lost weight since retiring. I said goodbye to 18 pounds a year and a half ago.

Last edited by travelingfar; 10-10-2019 at 02:44 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 10-09-2019, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I love retirement. I am happy and appreciative every single day. I am joyous and grateful every day.
Ditto, Amiga! I love being retired (year 5) and having the freedom to make each day my own. I am grateful everyday that I could retire and that I have the health to enjoy it.

I’m glad to read the joy retirement has brought you and other posters.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 10-09-2019, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Funny you should say this today. I just got back from going to breakfast with my retired friends. Had a blast as usual! My DH and I just returned from the Grand Canyon. We stayed in Williams, AZ and took a train/bus tour of the canyon. It was our 30th anniversary. It was so relaxing only having to worry about ourselves. I love retirement!
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Retirement is the BEST...
Old 10-09-2019, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

After a long 42 year career, I was more than ready to go out. I loved what I did, but the changes to the profession made the career I loved almost unrecognizable from when I started all those years ago. I was more then ready to reclaim time for me. Traveling during less crowded times, going to the gym, lunching with friends during the week, reading books for pleasure going to sleep as late as I want and experiencing no anxiety about anything work-related is a true gift. I have absolutely no regrets about leaving the classroom. I never did.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

loving it
Old 10-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Just last night I turned to DH and told him how much I loved being retired. It wasn't the case at first. While I was super grateful to be out of the classroom and away from all the exhausting issues that makes up today's world of education, I wasn't completely comfortable. Now I am thankful and enjoying every moment and choice I make of how to spend my time.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-09-2019, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I know I took a little different route, working part time for four years, but this first year of full time retirement is bliss. I even sometimes wake up in the morning not quite sure (at first) what day of the week it is . I get to exercise more, pursue volunteering, and work on creative projects. Just today DH and I took a ride to see the fall colors and stop at a little restaurant for lunch. We had to drive by the fire station in the town I taught in. They were doing their fire safety field trip. Definitely not missing that chaos!

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 10-09-2019, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I, too, am grateful to be retired. Like some of you, I lost a substantial amount of weight (30 pounds), and I really enjoy having time to indulge my interests and care for myself.

Also like some of you, I have had some significant stresses in the past couple of years. I am grateful that I have had the time to be available for my family during the year of my husband's illness and now dealing with a new baby with serious health issues.

Of course, the flip side of that is that I don't have work to distract me from worry. I guess I will learn (again--it's a recurring theme in my life) that worry changes nothing and is unproductive. I hate reviewing stuff I should already know!

But such is life. I love my little house, my family, my community, and my freedom to live the life I always hoped to have. I had time today to swim, to have a massage, take a walk under the brilliant autumn leaves, to snuggle the baby, and to work in the garden. Even with the challenges that life always brings, retired living is good.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

NancyLee

Love your posts!
Old 10-09-2019, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I love reading these. I'll be retiring soon and I'm trying to imagine what it's going to be like!
NancyLee is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 10-10-2019, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Iím finally into the joyful stage! I had a rough adjustment, mostly because I didnít get the chance to be home and feel retired.

My dh retired years before me and was ready to hit the road. We did, but I wasnít really ready to travel. Weíve been home and Iíve had the chance to enjoy relaxing. Iíve spent time with my mom, worked on decluttering, bought a sewing machine, took a quilting class, helped clean out my momís house, cook for my dogs, bake...

I simply LOVE having the time to be home.

In a few months we set out on a yearlong RV trip and this time Iím ready to go!
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 10-10-2019, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Almost 4 months into retirement life and I'm loving it since day one. I'm walking and exercising daily, starting to lose weight, getting together with friends once or twice a week, and volunteering at the animal shelter. I love doing errands and shopping in the middle of the day.

I spent my final teaching year giving away or getting rid of all my teaching stuff, celebrating all my "last" activities, and anticipating retired life. I think my last year was my adjustment period and I was completely ready for retirement in June. Life is beautiful!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote