Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Balance-Long

>

Tea"cheer"

Balance-Long
Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone else really struggle with finding a balance in life? I love my job...I love the challenge of it, the rewards from it...I just plain love it. Like the majority of teachers, I give 110% of myself and my time to my job.

I also love my family. My husband and son mean the world to me. My husband and I have spent the last two years trying to have another baby and a miscarriage is all that has resulted after drugs, needle pokes, blood draws, and surgeries. I have accepted (okay, maybe not 100%) that it just isn't going to happen.

I am a worrier by nature. I worry about money. I worry about making sure I am "perfect" at my job. I worry about being the "perfect" mom. I worry about being the "perfect" wife. But here's the thing...I know that the bulk of my energy and time is consumed by my job. I worry about the fact that my son is growing up before my eyes and I may not be spending as much time with him as I should...yet I need to keep my job.

Where can I find the balance? Every day it seems to be that struggle of taking on the world or enjoying it. Seriously, I can never turn my brain off. I can never relax. I really think I may need some kind of drug.

BLAH! Life is so hard sometimes.

Laura

Balance
Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is hard. After 22 years I have not found one! I have come to a realization though....I love my job not only am I good at it but I feel appreciated by it. Unfortunately at home I am not (two teens and a pre teen). I cannot balance it either.

Brassy125

It is a balancing act
Old 05-02-2012, 03:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is no way to balance it all out.

Just accept that fact, and take the pressure off.

Typically, if my house is "set" than my classroom is a wreck...when my classroom is in perfect shape, there are piles of unit work, and papers to grade in my living room...and it never fails, when I am my busiest(or most stressed), my husband needs something.
...the key is keeping yourself calm...holding tight to the priorities...riding the wave...enjoying the view...and taking care of yourself.

Good luck!!

funkster

Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, a lot of people have problems with this. There was a group started here on PT to members to discuss it.

emptynester54

I read a book....
Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

called Margin and it helped me. It's written by Richard A. Swenson, M.D. He also wrote The Overload Syndrome. Both of these books helped me during the time of my life when I was swamped with small kids and sick parents (and teaching!).