Help

Daily 5

Words their Way

>

Tea"cheer"

Words their Way
Old 06-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a question for those of you that have implemented CAFE and Words their Way as true to the books as can be. In the past, with a one-size-doesn't-fit-all spelling list each week, I have always used my accuracy mini-lessons to go over the "sound of the week." If I follow Words their Way as written and truly have separate groups, what would my accuracy large group mini-lessons look like? Thanks for your help!

Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

tangolily

Here are some accuracy lessons
Old 06-19-2012, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not the person to ask, but I have some ideas for you:

1. Chop it Off - if a word has a prefix or suffix, chop it off then sound out the rest of the word.
2. Compound Words - Some words are made up of two smaller words. Look for words you already know inside longer words.
3. Split the Consonants - To separate a word into syllables, divide between two consonants unless the consonants form a digraph and are sounded together. hap-py
4. Single Consonants 1- When a single consonant comes between two vowels, divide it after the consonant to make the vowel sound short . Example: lem - on
5. Single Consonants 2- When a single consonant comes between two vowels, divide it before the consonant to make the vowel sound long. Example: mu - sic
6. Back up a Space - When a word ends in le, back up one space and grab the consonant before it to make a syllable.
Example: tur - tle
7. Double Vowels - Sometimes double vowels work together to make one sound. Sometimes each vowel makes its own sound.
Example: vi o - lin
8. Flip the Vowel - If a word doesn't sound right when you sound it out, try flipping the vowel sound from long to short or short to long.
tangolily is offline   Reply With Quote

berkmom

spelling/wtw
Old 06-20-2012, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try as we might, we absolutely found it a nightmare to have so many groups going at once. We finally settled on teaching to the average of the class during the whole group lessons and sorts, and we differentiated during guided reading time. It worked better than when we didn't use WTW-WTW gave us more focus but was not perfect. During the upcoming year, we are going to try differentiating among four classes. We will use the WTW assessment to group children-more to the authors' plans-and set aside a block each day for homogeneous teaching. We think we will be teaching to the point of need rather than the average of the group.
berkmom is offline   Reply With Quote

ginadoo

Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use daily five and Words Their Way. I had a k-1 class this year and had separate spelling lists. For accuracy I teach things like blending the sounds, cross checking, breaking words at the onset and rime, self correct and self monitor, searching for cues or known word parts (e.g. blends, endings, vowel patterns.) and rereading. I'll try to attach a picture of my CAFE board. For each card there have been at least 2 or 3 mini lessons to introduce the concepts.... sorry picture not attaching... I'll try again later.
ginadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

ginadoo

Old 06-20-2012, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here is the picture!

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
ginadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Old 06-20-2012, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I thank you so much for your experience/opinion sharing! I will be team teaching in a 2-3 multiage room this year and we are really struggling with this subject area (multiaging is new at my school). I am so in the routine of doing daily accuracy lessons that are really "spelling" lessons that I worry about having enough lessons to do daily. Perhaps we just don't do a lesson daily (but cover the accuracy strategies the Sisters have shared) or only put one in based on need, as you said, berkmom. This certainly has my brain working overtime!

berkmom

tea "cheer"
Old 06-21-2012, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Once you get to know your class, and you look to their writing or running records, the accuracy lessons will pop out at you. Remember to keep your lessons short and to the point-not too much in any one lesson. You won't run out of lessons, I'm sure.
berkmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for the reminder, berkmom, that it is important to base lessons on the needs of the class...not just what is "set in stone" on the curriculum maps!

itsybitsc1

Old 06-23-2012, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas.
itsybitsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtlearn

so funny...
Old 06-26-2012, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was trying to work out the same problem & am new to both D5 & WTW. Thanks for posting & sharing. I love this site!

luvtlearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Room4Rocks

CAFE and WTW will work :)
Old 07-07-2012, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You are right. A one-size list won't work. I am still shocked that in some classrooms if students pass the pretest, they have no spelling for the week! Really??? There's still a lot to work on!

I teach third and found an AMAZING person here on PT who created 2 spelling lists for one phonics/spelling pattern (enough for an entire year) Woo hoo! So, that skill was my accuracy lesson for everyone.

Well, after pretesting my students every Monday, assigning groups, working with the words, and checking their results, I found I needed ANOTHER list! So, I created an easier list for my RSP students that worked on the same skill. I don't know what grade you teach, but my high list included more syllables, and more complex prefixes and suffixes.

I know some people aren't a fan of this, but I had to do it for my sanity. My students were put given a red, blue, and green list. The word cards they did their sorts and word study games were the same color.

If you want an indepth word study description, google Beth Newingham. She's the bomb. I used the First School Years website she links to help me find words for my lists. I also gave every group the same 10 additional words to work with like she did. Again, to keep my sanity, I only taught my class 4 simple games from WTW that required minimal changes from me. I sent home spelling sorts every day for homework.

I hope this helps! I found that it was beneficial for my students!
Room4Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote