Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

CAFE-Readers' Workshop

>

Tea"cheer"

CAFE-Readers' Workshop
Old 06-20-2012, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Under which main comprehension strategy do you stick compare and contrast and cause and effect? Determing importance in fiction?

Thanks!

Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

chalk_talk

I put them under the C
Old 06-22-2012, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would put them under the "comprehension" column. While it might involve being "accurate" and determining the meaning of new words "expanding vocabulary", the depth of thinking that is involved in determining importance, cause & effect, and compare & contrast seem to be more in line with the "c" for comprehension.
I've found that my "c" column is much bigger than other colummns (I use FACE, but I would guess that you might have the same results with CAFE).
chalk_talk is offline   Reply With Quote

room213

I agree
Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would also put it under Comprehension. Cause/effect, compare/contrast, sequence, and problem/solution are examples of Text Structure that help the reader understand the text more deeply.
room213 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oops. Sorry. I didn't explain my question very well. I knew I would put them under Comprehension...I am just wondering which comprehension unit they would best fit into for planning purposes. I am thinking Determining Importance (probably in Fiction) vs. Making Connections, Visualizing, etc. Would you both agree? Thank you!

room213

Old 06-23-2012, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach them as a separate unit and call it "text Structure" because you use all the different comprehension strategies to understand them. Inferencing, visualizing for cause/effect; inferencing, drawing conclusions, making connections for compare/contrast, etc. Studying text structure is more the way the author 'structures' their writing to help us understand their ideas.

room213 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalk_talk

oops sorry!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sorry for mis-reading your question! I knew you must have meant something else! Five days out of school and my brain is already mush!
I agree with using Determining Importance in Fiction, but don't forget to touch upon it in non-fiction (I teach first grade, but I've heard from upper grade teachers that students don't seem to be able to determine between "fun facts" and the "important facts".)
With the Common Core Standards, I find that compare and contrast also needs to be revisited in non-fiction and I guess that cause and effect also would be a part of that as well.
I tried to show students that the "good thinking" we did with fiction could also apply to non-fiction. Since first graders are new to "thinking about their thinking", it was a stretch. It just seems that those "critical thinking" skills need to span multiple genres. We'll introduce them where we hope students will successfully use them and then re-visit them again...and again.
chalk_talk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sounds great! Thank you!