Need advice quick, elderly mom terrible fall this morning - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Need advice quick, elderly mom terrible fall this morning

>

kyteacher1

Need advice quick, elderly mom terrible fall this morning
Old 06-17-2020, 01:36 PM

My elderly mother (And dad) have been living with me & DH for the past six months. Sheís had a lot of health problems especially with her back numerous vertebrae fractureís. she also has kidney stone disease. Sheís pretty much been confined to bed but she does have a walker that she could use To get to the bathroom with our help. While we have repeatedly insisted that she always call somebody for help she is very stubborn And thinks that she can do more than she can.
Thatís what happened this morning she decided to go to the bathroom without telling anybody and somehow the walker went one way and she went the other way. She banged her head on the door, she cut her leg, We called an ambulance and she went to the hospital.
My brother has just informed me that itís possible she may have up to five new fractures in her back. She is supposed to see a neurosurgeon in the morning. I am 100% against putting her in any kind of assisted-living but this is going to be too hard for just our family to take care of her. so Iím trying to figure out what our options areWhen it comes to home health care. Luckily my parents do have money, theyíre not loaded but very comfortable. Iím Completely clueless what something like home health care even cost.

I try to google some things this afternoon but got completely overwhelmed. Iím freaking out about what to do? Iím not even sure what exactly is it weíre gonna need. Iím thinking somebody that will come in every day to help with her. Right now she is sleeping in a queen size bed and box spring that sits directly on the floor. We got rid of the frame so she can get in and out of bed easier but Iím wondering if sheís going to need a different kind of bed now. I bought some thing thatís kind of like an on-call nurses button but for your your home. I also got this thing that she can sit in and itís slides her into the shower.

If you have taken care of an elderly parent That canít move very well or have any experience with home health care please give me some advice. Thank you.

kyteacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 06-17-2020, 01:49 PM

Does the hospital have a social worker you can talk to? Someone who could outline options for care and talk about expenses, etc. with? My dad was a hospital social worker before he retired and that was something he might help with. If not, is there a county agency you could call? Around here, we do have a county-run agency for the aging, which would help go through options. They don't provide services, just advice and guidance.

Good luck! She sounds lucky to have such a caring daughter.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

tntworth

My mom
Old 06-17-2020, 01:49 PM

Just went through this with my mom. In her case the hospital would not release her to come home until we had certain medical equipment and 24 hour home health care in place. Had we not been able to provide it they would have sent her to a rehab. The hospital will likely tell you what needs to be in place. In our town the medical equipment rental was minimal but the health care part was $4600 a week. Well worth it if you can afford it. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Toni
tntworth is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 06-17-2020, 01:51 PM

I was part of taking care of my mom recently before she passed away in March. Home health personnel were wonderful. I don't know all the specifics but either the hospital or her doctor should be able to write prescriptions for equipment she may need such as a hospital bed, etc. The precriptions are needed in order for any possible payment from insurance/Medicare, etc. Again, I'm not an expert at all. Possibly there will be someone at the hospital to direct you who to talk to in order to get things started. I'm confident there are other posters here who will be much more helpful than I have been.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 06-17-2020, 01:52 PM

When I was in college I worked in a Home Health Agency and my mother was one of the RN coordinators there. If you hire staff from a reputable home health agency then they will have someone come out and assess your mothers needs so she can stay in your home. Think of this person like a quarterback who will take a lot of the pressure off you. Her recommendations can include equipment and staffing. They also manage meds and doctor recommendations. Its not cheap to hire through an agency but its definitely worth it if you have the money. Good luck!

MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

mom
Old 06-17-2020, 01:53 PM

I was going to suggest a call alert pad that you put under the patient. When they get up an alarm goes off...they make them for chairs too.

The Visiting Nurse Association here has information about home care as does an agency called Visiting Angels.

I'm thinking a twin bed might give care givers more access to your mom and make changing sheets easier. Motorized hospital beds are available to rent/buy. An electric bed would help move her so she isn't lying flat all day. Some insurances might pay some. Dad's lift chair was fully funded.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Old 06-17-2020, 01:55 PM

Before my DM came home from the nursing home someone came out and looked the house over to see what needed to be in place. I have seen lift chairs which recline flat to become a single bed. A lift chair would help her get on her feet. The brand I have seen is the perfect sleep chair.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 06-17-2020, 01:57 PM

I would contact your local hospice orgnaization. Most of us think of hospice as helping people die at home with dignity, but they also facilitate long-term care for people who are facing multiple medical issues. Chapters will work with insurance, veterans' benefits, medicare, and so forth.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 06-17-2020, 02:26 PM

Is your mother or her husband a veteran? If so, you can speak with a veteran's group. My dad qualifies for 6 hours a week of free care.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 06-17-2020, 03:13 PM

I would speak with the hospital social worker, in fact she might even have talked with your mother already.

I've had rehab and they had me describe my home and then recommended things I would need. Everything went through medicare. I did get a hospital bed, I refused a bathing chair but I am terrified of them. I got some items to help me with getting into bed, grabbing things, putting on socks, etc.

I have had home healthcare to help with showering and they did a little very light housekeeping. But, I only had them for a short amount of time. This to was paid through insurance. I know your mom's needs are different, but again be sure you talk with the hospital sw and the people in rehad who will set up a home care plan once she is released from rehab.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 06-17-2020, 03:15 PM

Itís hard as we like to be in control, but you are going to have to wait until you know the extent of the injuries and the treatment before you can decide what to do. Itís natural to want mom at home, but sometimes something else is better. Medicare will pay for rehab if it is needed. Yes, therapists will come to your house, but in rehab often you can get two sessions a day instead of the one youíd get at home. Rehab, after working with you, can often make good recommendations for equipment at home. Rehab does not mean you canít come home, so donít rule it out until you know the extent of the injury.

Hoping your mom comes home soon.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-17-2020, 06:08 PM

I have no experience with this but am praying for her, as well as for success in finding competent, compassionate care for her that does not involve a rehab center!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Assisted living
Old 06-17-2020, 06:30 PM

I can hear your love and concern in your words. I'm so sorry about the fall.

It's possible, though, that you may want to reevaluate where and how your mother will get the care she needs once this crisis is over. A hospital social worker definitely can help. There are so many questions.

For example, how many people will be needed to get her up--to get dressed or washed or to used the bathroom? Will more than one person be needed?

It's possible that she might actually do better and be happier in assisted living. One huge plus is that there are always aides, nurse, therapists available. Additionally, there are people around to interact with. There are various activities and programs--and then if you are close you can also visit often.

My mother died a year ago at almost 102, having chosen to spend her final 6 years in assisted living. It was the right choice for her. I was still working (and our house wasn't set up for her--too many stairs). But she made some new friends, went to travel programs, and even was president of the residents' council. We lived less than 2 miles away and visited often.

I know assisted living isn't for everyone, but don't rule it out without knowing why.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

A place for mom
Old 06-17-2020, 10:51 PM

I checked into this after FIL passed and we were looking for ideas for MIL. They have different levels of care. I was looking at having someone come in every day to make sure she took her meds and help her with whatever she needed. But they also have assisted living. We didnít end up needing them but they seemed very flexible in meeting the needs of their clients.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

Old 06-18-2020, 04:06 AM

Thinking of you! Been down a similar route.... Good luck and hugs when you need them most!
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote