Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Shoulder replacement questions

>

kyteacher1

Shoulder replacement questions
Old 12-09-2018, 07:54 PM

My mom is having this surgery in mid January. She’s 76. She’s very nervous about recovery. I’m trying to get her things to help her. She’ll have my dad there at home & family will be there daily, but I was wondering if anyone has advice about what to expect, items she may find useful, etc...
So far I have an iPad pillow so she doesn’t have to hold it and a thing to help her open pill bottles or jars with one arm.
Any suggestions? What clothing did you find helpful? Any other items you can think of?
Thanks

kyteacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 12-09-2018, 08:07 PM

It's not the same, but my sister has had two surgeries on her shoulder. Here are some things that she found helpful:

- stool to sit in the shower & detachable shower head
- clothing that zipped or buttoned up the front
- good slip on shoes
- audio books helped her, she wanted to read but holding up a book with one hand wasn't feasible for very long

All my best thoughts for quick healing!
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

shoulder replacement
Old 12-09-2018, 08:24 PM

I'd say tops that button or zip in the front maybe a size or two larger.
hint learned from recovery room nurse for ice jug cooler wrap thing sometimes used to keep swelling down. Use frozen water bottles instead of ice cubes. Put in 2-3 of the bottles and then the jug to the water line. It stayed cold a lot longer. So much easier to toss back in the freezer. We kept about 8 going.

Before surgery schedule an appointment with her hair dresser if she is used to getting it cut.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-09-2018, 09:03 PM

Maybe pants that pull up easily, too. Closing zippers on pants would be hard.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 12-09-2018, 11:41 PM

I had my knee replaced in June. The ice machine is a life saver. It keeps swelling down and helps numb the pain.

Something to help her with shoes and socks. A long handled shoehorn would help. If you haven’t already, check to see what kind of physical therapy she will need. Usually they come to the home for the fiery two weeks and then you go to them. I would also discuss pain control with her surgeon. Joint replacement is painful, and I have heard the shoulder is more painful than the knee. If you can find someone who has had it done, they may be able help. Bathroom - she will need help probably. I couldn’t use the potty seat that for over the toilet. If she doesn’t have a handicapped toilet. You can buy a toilet seat that is raised and has handles on the sides. I don’t know if that would be an issue with a shoulder replacement. Any exercise she can do now to help strengthen her muscles will pay off big time after surgery.

NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 12-10-2018, 03:36 AM

I had 2 rotator cuff surgeries. Similar recovery. Make sure she has pump shampoo, conditioner etc. ice machine is crucial. Lots of pillows. She will need to sleep sitting up for a while. She will set up base camp in a recliner or couch. The release mechanism on the recliner will need to be on her good side or she will get trapped. Figure out how to have the toilet paper on the good size. Stool softeners for issues from the pain meds.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

NeeCee

Post Surgery Helps
Old 12-10-2018, 01:32 PM

My wife had a complete shoulder replacement 2 years ago. She really liked having a heated blanket. I got a twin size so that it would cover her in the recliner and I could tuck her toes in at night. I also purchased warm, furry footies with non-slip bottoms. Sleeping will be challenging for a while, we found these wonderful bed cushions that allow you to prop up similar to a hospital bed. They were spendy, even on Amazon, but so worth it because they provide propping under her knees to keep from slipping down in the bed once propped up. I have added a picture, but have no idea how to rotate it. At least you have an idea!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BackMac Body Pillows.pdf (606.1 KB, 7 views)
NeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

Old 12-10-2018, 03:07 PM

Amazon has a hip/back recovery kit $32- it has a grabber and long shoe horn and other items that might be helpful
Sorry I couldn’t figure out how to link it...
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote