Help

The VENT

Grade level team woes

>

iloveglitter2

Grade level team woes
Old 01-09-2019, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone ever had a crazy bossy & nosey team teacher? I have actually snapped at her and I am not that type of person! It usually takes a lot to get on my bad side. This teacher is assuming because I am new to our school I am completely clueless. It seems to be getting much worse. She spends so much time trying to make sure I am doing what she thinks I should do she fails to do some of her duties. We have a rotation on assisting the PE teacher in picking up the kids. On her week she sends me a reminder and then fusses if she assumes I am late. But, all this week (her week) the PE teacher has found me to help her because the team teacher is no where to be found.

She also sent a letter out to the parents about drastic changes in our grading. She never discussed any of this with me. I have three students now with IEPs. This grading system violates two of those IEPs.

For Christmas she sent home a letter explaining what we would do Christmas wise at school. She signed it as her and the other teacher as the 2nd grade team. It was sent home with my students without my name on it!

She acts and implies to others like I am clueless. We had a lockdown drill where we were prepped before hand by admin. She came over and told me she figured I didn't understand what was going on. She asks me about my schedule with students and looks over materials I use. She provides her own and then will give me a text stating I need to use a certain material that day.

My approach is very different and I feel her stuff is not always grade appropriate. My interventionists and Special Ed teacher both compliment and say I am doing a wonderful job. My Dibels scores are in for first half of the year and great growth by all but one of my students.

How do you deal with a nosy, bossy team teacher? Do you let it go or risk starting a fight? Our admin does not want us to come complaining to her on each other and I totally get that.

As for what I do in the classroom. I am just doing what I know is best for my students.

iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-09-2019, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, you could take the direct approach and sit her down and explain that you appreciate her help but you have your own method and in the future youíd appreciate if she would consult you before sending notes home (although I donít know how she sends them home with your kids without you seeing them first).

Or you could nod, say thank you, close your door and do your own thing.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Bossy pants
Old 01-09-2019, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You need to nip this in the bud now. Conversation could go like this:

ďIknow you want to help me acclimate to the new school, but I feel,you are not treating me as an equal. I have experience...trust me, I read all the Ps emails. Can we agree that you will run by me all information or letters you plan to send out? You are making me look bad when I donít know what information has gone out. Iím sure this isnít your intent.

Also, I promise when I donít understand/know something, I will come to you right away.Ē

It is seriously important for you to have this conversation now and in the least confrontational manner as possible. She may not realize whatís sheís doing...or she does and you to show her you are a strong person.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

iloveglitter2

Old 01-09-2019, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

She finds my kids at dismissal and hands them out to each kid. Doesn't run it by me at all!

iloveglitter2

Old 01-09-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you! I have been debating on if I should do something or just let it go?

Haley23

Old 01-09-2019, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm not usually in favor of the direct approach, but in this case that's what I'd do. I think there is a strong possibility this teacher really thinks she is helping you. People adjust to new environments differently. When my newest teammate was hired, she had 19 years of experience. I made sure to explain things that were unique to our district to her, but I didn't think she'd need or want much support. She ended up getting upset that I wasn't "helping" her enough. Apparently she was having a very difficult time adjusting from her previous district. I would have never assumed that without her saying.

I would be gracious when talking to her- tell her that you can tell she really wants you to feel welcome and supported, and that you really appreciate that, but that you want your experience to be respected as well.

Hopefully she doesn't realize what's been going on and will change. At the very least, you'll figure out her motives.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm not normally confrontational either, and I always try to assume people mean the best, but what she's doing is not at all cool and she should definitely know better. If she actually had good intentions, she would have handed you the notes to send home with your kids, not gone behind your back.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Well, unless it happens often
Old 01-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

...the note thing could be one teacher realizing at the last minute that Christmas letters needed to go out like, yesterday, and hurriedly typing something up last minute. Then rushing out to pass out to students and feeling like that her lack of preparation might make you upset that you had to pass out notes last minute and so doing it herself.

That would also excuse accidentally leaving (your) a new teacher's name out. (If we want to give the benefit of the doubt.)

OTOH, she does sound overbearing in other ways. We used to give new teachers on our team our materials, but were always sure to say that this is what we did, but that she could choose to do something different. I would resent being told what materials I had to use. I also can see why you would object to a letter of grading being sent out without your input.

That has to stop. That's what I would sit down and talk with her about.

I'd also make a point to ask about materials she gives you that she expects you to use. I'd check to find out if these are district required materials she's giving you or merely her own favorite materials. We used to be required to give one math exemplar every month, and we used to be required to do certain science lessons in a particular time frame. I'd be asking if they are required, suggested, or merely preferred, and then let her know that you'll "keep them in mind" when you plan for next week/month/etc.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 01-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would have a conversation with your team teacher. I have taught for a long time and have worked with many different teachers. Some teachers really want lots of help when he or she is new to a grade level or team. Some don't want any advice at all. I have tried to read the signals on new team members but sometimes I get it wrong. One teacher I worked with would get terribly upset and hurt if I didn't share every single thing, another would get irritated if I shared anything. Both times, I remember feeling terrible when I found out because I had genuinely tried my best to help. Now, I have learned just to be myself, smile and be pleasant, and let others come to me if they need anything. I have also found every coworker relationship to be different and just to go with the flow, make compromises and not take anything too personally.
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 01-12-2019, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

How much of this is her doing and how much is coming down from admin? Is she paid to be team leader or is it just assumed that she is your mentor? What authority does she have over what happens at that grade level? If none, then you do need to be direct and address this with her. If she does have authority, then it may be you will need to comply to her wishes or take it up with admin.

aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

She is wrong
Old 01-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Why would she have access to anything in your class. I am the one that fills Friday folders with communication to parents so nothing I donít want going home, goes home. Unless it is district information, PTO or from our principal. I am sorry you are having this. I lucked out and have the best team. I consider them by best friends. I would die without them!
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Kill them with kindness...
Old 01-12-2019, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

is what my mother has always told me. I agree with others who've said to thank her for all her assistance and then politely decline future help. Keep us updated. As someone currently feeling helpless from micro-managing admin/team members, I'm hoping you're able to be successful!
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote