Primary Grades (K-2)

Math Bags

>

firstieagain

Math Bags
Old 07-16-2018, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good Afternoon All,
I was in my classroom today and found some plastic zip pouches. I thought I would create math bags for my students . What thoughts do you guys have about what will go in them?

firstieagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 07-16-2018, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are these for manipulatives? If so, I like having students string 20 pony beads on a pipe cleaner which is secured at both ends. It works great for counting up and down on a number line.

I also include a laminated 100s or 200s chart, centimeter cubes, a baggy of mixed coins, a laminated clock, a piece of felt for a work mat. Later on we add math fact cards.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

firstieagain

Song of Joy
Old 07-17-2018, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, Song of Joy, these are for math manipulative. I like the beads on a pipe cleaner. How many do you put on a cleaner? Do you put ten on one and ten on another to simulate a ten frame?

Sleddog

Math Bags
Old 07-17-2018, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I bought small tablet neoprene 'bags' at the Dollar Tree to use as math bags. I had grand plans of what to put in them so that the kids just had to take a math bag and everything would be 'right there'. UGH...big mistake. I hated them. I found kids would dump everything out and then search for what they needed. Kids would shout out that they were missing something or had two of something. It drove me crazy. I will never use a math bag again.

Instead, I got better at organizing my math supplies. I bought small plastic containers with a lid at the Dollar Tree. I put coins in them (one per student), I put those red/yellow two-side counters in another set. I also bought plastic containers that could hold a deck of cards, dice and playing pieces.

I figured out that if I was really organized with supplies, that it was much faster than students having a stash of their own. If we needed rulers, someone passed out the rulers. If we needed money, we passed out the money containers...etc. It was also easier to make sure everything was put back where it belonged

I wish I had done this years ago.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

mandamouse123

Old 07-17-2018, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had similar experiences to Sleddog. I now just have a big tub of each manipulative. When I need students to have specific items for a lesson, I prep the 'math bags' with ONLY the things the students will need. I say 'math bags' with apostrophes because I use cups, like the ones you find at walmart or the dollar store in packs of 4 for summer or in the children's section. Often times, I will prep as I am calling students to the rug to get ready for math, or while a student is leading calendar. The cups make it easy to dump things in without fussing with zippers, or having to pick up each bag.

mandamouse123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Math bags
Old 07-18-2018, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I keep all of one kind of manipulative in labeled containers. I prep using cups and students give out.

Rulers same.

Eventually each student gets baggie with 10 - 12 connecting cubes to help when doing independent add/subtracting. These are kept in their personal baskets which fit inside their desk, so no problem if baggie is opened. After awhile these are not needed.

Later in year, kids get baggie of pattern blocks to use any way on their desk top when work is done or they have to wait a few minutes. They love this.

I have a plastic bin drawer for card packs to use with a partner.

Kids keep laminated 100 chart in their work folders.

So I think itís best to have somethings to be given out as needed and some for kids to manage.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

firstieagain

math bags
Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Great ideas!! I already have my math manips in containers so I think it would be good to just have a "helper" to help pass out what is needed! Thank you so much for the ideas!! Another concern dealt with!

Song of Joy

Old 07-18-2018, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Re: pony beads on a pipe cleaner. I usually have kids string the beads themselves and have them use an odd/even pattern.

And instead of math bags we have math boxes made from pencil boxes, one for each student with a coded # which matches their desk number. Students who need manipulatives to figure out math like this because they can grab their own math box whenever they need one.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 07-19-2018, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach kindergarten. I use zippered pouches as manipulative pouches. I send them home at the beginning of the year. Off the top of my head, the pouch has 10 two-color counters, 20 connecting cubes, a set of letter cards (uppercase on front, lowercase on back with an extra set of lowercase letters),a set of numeral cards 0-20, 2 dice, 6 wikki stix, and a small container of Play-doh (the small-sized ones from party pack). The students return them at the end of the year. Yes, there are some that don't return the pouches, but I prefer hands on activities for my K students as opposed to worksheets so it is worth it.

The students use the manipulatives for homework activities throughout the year. I assign games and activities for homework. i.e. They use the letter cards for letter recognition and word building activities. They use the dice for activities like dice roll, read and write, for building cube trains/towers for comparing or when playing teacher-created board games. They use the wikki stix to form letters, numbers and 2D shapes. They roll Play-Doh snakes and pinch to strengthen their finger muscles and to form letters and numbers.

In my classroom, I have manipulative bins; however, some of the manipulatives in the bins are already counted out and in ziploc bags to save time when passing out the materials. i.e. 10 counters in a bag
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mammabear4

Pony beads
Old 07-19-2018, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like to create mine with 5 red, 5 white. I would make 20 bead pipe cleaner.
My students have rekenracks. I really like the 10 bead math rack for kindergarten.
My son going into 2nd has been exploring with a 100 bead necklace. This one is 10 white and 10 red. We have been counting by 10's

Mammabear4 is offline   Reply With Quote