Help

The VENT

Students Purchasing TPT Items

>

DeeDee3073

Students Purchasing TPT Items
Old 01-03-2019, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach high school English and recently gave the students a scavenger hunt based on "The Fall of the House of Usher" that I purchased on TPT. There were about 70 questions and I allowed the students to work together on it. It was to review the short story in preparation for their test (written literary analysis). As we were going over it several of the students had the exact same answers as on the answer sheet. Later, I asked one of the students about it and the student admitted another student had purchased it on TPT for $2 just like I had. And, that they search TPT for worksheets in other subjects and buy them.

The sheet was for review and not graded. And, I understand that students can google questions and I wouldn't give a graded assessment that students would be able to answer by googling but... are students now that lazy that they are purchasing resources??

I'm really shocked! Is this just at my school or are other students doing this elsewhere?

*I know now to change the name of the worksheet to make it more difficult for them to find.

DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 01-03-2019, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I bought the teacher editions to my math books in middle school. 💁#♂️ My district was poor, so they were like $4 on Amazon because they were so old.
TheGr8Catsby is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-03-2019, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I didn't do it myself, but I knew people in HS who bought the teacher's editions of text books. I guess this is the new version of that!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Tpt
Old 01-04-2019, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

To be fair, finding & purchasing something on Tpt sounds like slightly more work than flicking to the back of the text book, so maybe they're actually slightly less lazy then we were

All I can say beyond that is that I'm glad I teach kindergarten
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 01-04-2019, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach elementary and have parents who have purchased math teacher's manual on line. I now write my own assessments. Grrrr. This new generation of lawn mower parenting even went to principal to complain that I was not using the tests that went with the curriculum. Mom couldn't understand how her dear child was supposed to know what was on the test?!

Just another example of the lack of professional respect for teachers. Its sad.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

g8rFan

Old 01-04-2019, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sadly, I think this is pretty common. My DD is a senior and any time a Quizlet is assigned, the answers can be easily found online. Usually a student will find it and pass the link along to anyone who wants it.
g8rFan is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 01-04-2019, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I live in a state where the past final state exams are all online. (Questions and answers)
To prepare my students, I use a variety of the past exams as practice. My favorite is changing the order of the multiple choice responses. So, when the student comes in with the practice exam all done and has ADBAC, he/she is shocked to find out that the responses are BBACD since I rearranged the order.

Is there any way you can manipulate the questions/possible responses to be in a different order?

In the back of my mind though, I've let a lot of frustration go. Aren't the students just robbing themselves of their own learning? Good luck in the future, kiddos.
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I accidentally did something like that
Old 01-04-2019, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

in High School. I had bought myself a PSAT study booklet, and discovered that the teacher was copying the practice vocabulary tests verbatim and giving them to us for a graded quiz. I showed off to a few friends, who went and deliberately bought the book and shared through out the school.

The teacher eventually caught on. One day, I noticed the test was changed. Same questions, different order. That was not a problem for me, because I usually just did a pre-test and checked to see if I knew the answers, and if I didn't, I noted the correct answers.

So I got my usual 100%.

Unfortunately, the memorizers put the original (but now wrong) correct answers. The teacher tried to get them suspended for cheating, but she didn't have a leg to stand on because it was public domain.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 01-04-2019, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Some would argue that it is resourcefulness on their part. At the end of the day, aren't we, as teachers, doing the same thing? There was no Pinterest or TPT when I started teaching. Or internet for that matter. We made up most of our own materials and activities. I still use a lot of them.

I walk down our primary corridor and it's a Pinterest world.

I don't think there's anything teachers can (or should) do about it, except be ticked off and make up their own assessments.
imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 01-04-2019, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
At the end of the day, aren't we, as teachers, doing the same thing? There was no Pinterest or TPT when I started teaching. Or internet for that matter. We made up most of our own materials and activities. I still use a lot of them.
That was my first thought when I read this

Quote:
are students now that lazy that they are purchasing resources??

Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 01-04-2019, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Many years ago, we were required to give the Trophies comprehension tests in first grade. I was bewildered for a few weeks when a few very poor readers were getting 100s on the test. Then one of the kids blabbed that their parents bought the test booklet with the answers on ebay. I told administration about it. They didn't want to deal with it, so it was no longer my problem!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 01-05-2019, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have never heard of that before, but I do know there are apps that will give answers to math worksheets.

As teachers we know how hard it is to always create everything from scratch, and that sometimes it is more cost-effective to buy a $2 worksheet than spend hours creating something. But students don't realize that, so what would bother me so much about your situation is that I think the students would assume the teacher is just being lazy by buying the worksheet, so they aren't doing anything worse than what the teacher did. Completely not the case, but knowing that would be their thinking would really bother me. I truly don't think they'd have the same opinion of teacher laziness if it were a free worksheet online.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Frostbyte1

Frostbyte1

Tpt
Old 01-11-2019, 09:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I actually put the worksheets up on Google classroom (we use GC every day) with the teacher answer sheet. The students have yet to notice. 😂 I am not sure whether to be amused or sad.

Lottalove

My case--
Old 01-12-2019, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am a MS/HS SpEd teacher. I teach certain core classes and several social/behavioral classes. As well, I do resource for the GenEd classes my students take with their peers.

My students have all seen me "find" all kinds of materials online as I pull them up right on the SmartBoard.

Have you ever googled your textbooks or a Quizlet? Almost everything we touch at my school other than teacher/"home" made assignments are online.

I am actually surprised that MORE students haven't figured this out...
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote