Help

The VENT

Puzzled

>

teacherwoman6

Puzzled
Old 01-11-2019, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can someone please tell me if its just me or what? I work in a district that does not seem to recognize when it's time to reexamine procedures and do something different. There is no limit to what teachers are required to do and it just keeps on adding up. Students have no consequences for their misbehavior and the advice you receive for every situation generally ends up being more work for the teacher. I know my district is not the only one like this. I think it's me. I have a hard time smiling and pretending that everything is okay with the way things are done. Everyone smiles and walks around depressed and stressed. In other words, they are very passive. What I cannot understand is how to adjust mentally to this type of work environment? Is there anyone out there that has learned how to accept a work environment like this? If so, how do you do it? I am truly ready to get out of teaching because of this.

teacherwoman6 is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Old 01-12-2019, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I totally agree with you and am waiting to hear what people have to say.
PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Not all schools are like this, but
Old 01-12-2019, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

as I read this, a lot of what you wrote resonated with me.
No one likes a program at our school and wishes it would go away. Still when the P asks for people to be on that committee/ promote it, meeting weekly, before school, many agree.
Many are very passive and just do things that cause themselves more work and waste their time. Then complain about the program and early morning meetings.
I usually say no to things I disagree with or would waste my time. I do not push an issue too far, but let it be known how I feel about certain things.
When P knows you disagree w/ the use of a program, or anything, he/she will not usually ask you to be on that committee. They think you will cause waves, ask too many questions, try to change it, or basically be a PITA.
I was not always like this. I have been on a bazillion time wasting committees in my lifetime.
The way I have adjusted to it is by TRULY knowing my job is to TEACH the kids academics, how to get along in this world, and do the ever increasing paperwork that is piled upon us. That is it.
It is not my job to work over contract hours even though I still do it maybe 2 days a week. I tell myself that is my choice, but realistically I could not get everything done if I didn't stay. Also, I don't kill myself getting things perfect. If there is a mistake, OH, Well! We are all human!
Zero consequences have made me get creative with my discipline system. Unless a kid is hurt, no1 goes to the office. I deal with it myself because I know that all the office will do is give a ton more paperwork or some ridiculous directives on how to deal w/ that child. Maybe they'll even get a BIP which gives them prizes for going 5 minutes w/out misbehaving. No, thanks!
People do not walk around our school smiling though. Most know to only complain to people who keep their mouths shut and that they trust. ( Trusted circles of teachers- clusters) Most do act like everything is OK though when I know it is often not OK.
A couple of teachers do this and eventually blow up and lose it on others. They get so frustrated.
I taught at a school with a different climate for many years. I am not sure if the teachers were just less passive or times have just changed a lot. When I taught there, admin were strict disciplinarians. So there was a different relationship/ respect with teachers. I am guessing there are still some schools out there like this.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 01-12-2019, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There's a blue wall, but I'd like to think there is a pink wall. Well, cops stick together, a lot teachers and most admin are crabs. If there's one thing I learned at home, I'm the same as everyone else. I've always applied this. When I saw other teacher being mistreated, I spoke up. I think in education, we let our coworkers down a lot. I've never been one to drop my class off right on the dot for aftercare. Now, the people who do it aren't teachers in the district. I've never asked what qualifications these women have as I don't care and I see them as coworkers (equals). The. other day one was upset and crying and way over ratio. I got my students settled and said to a child I know is trustworthy "What's going on in here?". Basically, too many children and the bad ones taking over. I gave them a shake down. I told that woman "I'll stay here. You get in that office and tell them now you are over the legal ratio". More crying and fear. I said "You do it before I leave, because I'm calling CPS". I was last for drop off. She was over ratio before I came. Why did no one else help? Teachers eat their own.

SoDone

Fake it til' ya make it...
Old 01-12-2019, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

seems to be the motto for many of us. No one at my school or district dares to speak up and make waves. We smile and agree with every idiotic policy that comes down from on high. LearnZillion, SRA, Leader In Me....programs which may have value but are shoved down our throats as we're basically told we have to stick to each script because our test scores stunk, therefore we must not be effective enough to create our own lessons anymore.

Principal believes students over staff, admin has favorites who receive better treatment and recognition, teachers feel free to admonish each other in front of students (I have not and would never). Discipline is laughable. I've written up more kids this year than in my previous years combined. Sometimes, they return to my room ten minutes later. Suggestions have been straight out of Classroom Management 101....do you not think I already tried assigned seating about five different ways?? I have many friends who do yoga or other meditations, several who are on anti-anxiety/depression meds due to work, several who self-medicate outside of work, and many who have therapists to help with the stresses. I paint.

We disagree silently or to trusted buddies but no one would dream of actually doing/saying anything louder (myself included since I don't want to live out of my car).

SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote