Help

Social Studies

Columbus Day

>

Nik

Columbus Day
Old 10-03-2005, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any ideas about Columbus Day? I want to do something showing the controversy. I teach sixth grade. I have a picture book called "Encounter" that is from the natives view. Any other ideas?

Nik is offline   Reply With Quote

arm

arm

second grade teacher
Old 10-03-2005, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was wondering about the book you mentioned. Is it appropriate for second grade? Sorry I don't have any ideas for you.

Nik

Encounter
Old 10-05-2005, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Encounter is a picture book written by Jane Yolen. I am not sure if it is appropriate for second grade. You might want to ask your librarian.
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Gail

Gail

Columbus Day
Old 10-18-2005, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach third grade and I LOVE Columbus Day, mostly because it ends with my telling the students that Columbus didn't discover America. It blows their minds. I don't spend a lot of time on it, but I TELL the story, rather than read it. Children love storytelling, especially when it's very dramatic. I make half of my class Columbus' crew and half of them Natives. I play "devil's advocate" for both sides with things like, "Hooray, we're here - give us all your gold" and "Get off my island or you'll get an arrow in the bum". Each side cheers when it's their turn. At the end, we discuss whether or not Columbus' arrival was a good thing. It's very interactive and very different from lessons they've had before.
Deborah

Deborah

5th grade teacher
Old 10-29-2005, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know this is late...maybe you can use this for next year. I read the book Encounter and then read part of Columbus' journal that gives his perspective of the experience of the book Encounter. You could also read Pedro's journal which is the account of a sailor on one of Columbus' ship. (realistic fiction). From there you can lead a good discussion on different perspectives of the same event. Let the students form their own opinion of what they think from the three reading. It becomes a good discussion on the subject.

Mrs C

Lies My Teacher Told Me
Old 12-04-2005, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

...is a book with excellent details on what really happened with Columbus. You could extract what you need & type it up into a "Fact vs. Myth" handout, read/discuss, have students compose essay with their opinions of the whole thing.
Mrs C is offline   Reply With Quote