Social Studies

3 branches of Government for 3rd Grade

>

pryan

pryan

3 branches of Government for 3rd Grade
Old 10-31-2005, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone have any suggestions for teaching the 3 branches of government to 3rd grade?

Mrs. G

3 Branches help
Old 10-31-2005, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here is a great website with activities the students can do.
bensguide.gpo.gov I have used this site with my fifth graders, but they have activities for all grade levels.
Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Mindy

Mindy

3 branches help
Old 05-03-2006, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try teaching your students the 3 branches of the government using a 3 legged step stool. This will help the children visually see that each branch works together to create the laws just like each of the legs work together to create the stool.
Two Kims

Two Kims

Three Branches
Old 09-28-2006, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Peter and Carole Barnes have some wonderful picture books that address this topic, a guide as well as a separate book on each branch. It incorporates a fictionalized mouse with the facts on each branch.

iteach4th

Old 09-30-2006, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I always have my 4th graders draw a large TREE with 3 branches. On the branches, they write the brances of government in large capital letters. Under the title of each branch, they write the "who" and "what" of each branch of government. They can then add details to their drawing. They turn out really cute, and the kids get the concept of 3 different branches.

iteach4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Carol Glynn

Carol Glynn

3 Branches
Old 08-09-2007, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Note to previous entry: The Melanie Griffith movie that showcases the 12 days of Christmas ammendment song is called "Born Yesterday"

Three large swimming noodles can be the tree branches. I cover mine with felt. Wrapping paper tubes can so the same. Three kids hold the branches and others have small cards that tell of a job done within that branch. The walk up and stand with their branch in front of the class. This can be done one by one with the whole class following each one, or while the whole class is singing a 3 branches song, and then check them afterwards. Key: Set up the idea that mistakes are really fine, because that will help us learn. If they 're not afraid to join the wrong group, then they'll enjoy the game more.
TerryMsH

TerryMsH

We made trees to analogize 3 gov't. branches
Old 10-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We just finished branches of government. After we studied the 3 branches, I cut out tagboard patterns for the students to trace: a tree trunk (with 3 large spreading branches) and a puffy tree top. Each student traced one tree trunk onto brown construction paper and 3 puffy tree tops onto green. I made a model for them to see and follow. The trunks are labeled: Executive, Judicial and Legislative. The students write what each branch does and who they would find in each branch of gov't. on the 3 green tops. They then glued the green tops onto the corresponding trunks, placing the Executive branch in the middle and higher above the other two. I displayed them in the hallway and my children seemed to retain the information better after completing this activity. They really liked it!

TCHER5

Three Branches
Old 10-25-2015, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is really a great concrete idea!
Every time I look at a three legged stool I'll think of the branches! Hopefully students will as well!
TCHER5 is offline   Reply With Quote